Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Law Enforcement Support Office

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Law Enforcement Support Office

You prob are right, that said, and what I know to be a fact...there is going to be a ton of full auto M 16's on the market in a few years. Police and Sheriffs Depts are not known for the ability to keep their weapons. Even the military has a hard time.

You might notice that M 16 or pistol you were issued the serial number has a letter following it: 1829450377 A..

The letter 'A' means this serial number was a previous weapon and a new one took its place with the same serial number, could mean it was stolen or 'combat loss' or run over by a tank etc. I have seen the letter 'B' after a serial number meaning its the 3rd iteration, same serial number, 3rd gun...

NG/USAR facilities are frequently broken into and of course lots of guns are stolen...yea.

When I was an S-4 I asked my Supply Sgt to see if he could get me a training gun that could be used to teach with and would be a otherwise complete weapon. He said sure and he did, a M 16 A1 FA. A year later it was time for me to go to my next assignment. The Fri I left he laid down a weapons case on my desk about 1600 hrs and said here is a present for you. I am thinking WTH, the guys got me Ruger 10-22, which I talked about often. Funny its just me and him in my office, where are the guys. I noted he had closed the door. I open it and there was the M 16 A1 FA. I laugh, thinking its a joke. He says no joke Captian, its yours, take it and enjoy. WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN ITS MINE? This weapon is NOT on the Army's books anymore and a new one has been issued to take its place. This is were I learned about the alpha letter after the SN.

Needless to say I did not take it. I did have a secret room behind a wall that no one knew about. The door was covered by a piece of 4x8 plywood with the unit crest painted on it. The M 16 was wiped clean of my fingerprints and stashed behind that piece of plywood...
9 years 9 months ago #41362

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!