Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

Well I finally got mine...Still waiting on the Gas Block and Front sight...
So Stay Tuned my AR-10 Brethren...and LAR and LR .308 owners....The Product Vid and Installation Vid soon to come...
Target On
Embrace The Lion....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 6 months ago #12604

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by WES213 on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

Can't wait for it man, you said you would send it to me free of charge when you finished the video right??? :woohoo:
We go to war to fight terrorism and Communism then vote for a terrifying communist to lead us God help us all.
11 years 6 months ago #12606

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

What did I tell you about smoking used cleaning Patches :dry: ...It's not good for you...you think of weird things :S ...and hear strange suggestions.... :pinch: :whistle: :dry: :laugh:
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 6 months ago #12609

I am in the process of doing the videos now...have to get a new dust cover rod..
Quick TECH NOTE...if you are looking at one of these handguards...be sure to measure the DC rod...if you have the shorter one..there will be an issue...
Videos coming soon.... :thumbs:
BMS

11 years 5 months ago #13368

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

If I may, SASS, what are the real advantages of a Free Float as compared to the standard type hand guards. Other than cosmetic, I am missing what genuine value it would add to the weapon?

Is it a cooling issue or what?
11 years 5 months ago #13378

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

It's more of an accuracy issue than cooling. A normal forend attaches to the barrel at two points -the barrel nut and the hand guard collar. When you grip the hand guards or "sling up," (the upper sling swivel attaches to the FSB on the barrel) you put pressure on the hand guards which in turn puts pressure on the barrel and interferes with the normal flex of the barrel as the bullet travels down it. Since the pressure you exert is inconsistant round to round, shot groups tend to be bigger due to changes in POI.

A free float sleeve eliminates the contact point near the end of the barrel, allowing the barrel to flex more naturally and uniformly shot to shot. This improves the mechanical accuracy of the rifle, sometimes dramatically so. My AR10's groups shrank about .25 MOA when I went to a FF forend.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13386

Thanks Lebben. I appreciate the input.

All good stuff.
11 years 5 months ago #13396

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: New Free Float HandGuard for the AR-10...

No worries, bro. I wrote that from my phone at work, so I was glad you were able to make sense of it.

A FF sleeve DOES help with cooling over a normal set of hand guards, but the flipside to it is the sleeve gets warmer quicker since there are no heat shields in the sleeve.
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #13399

Thanks for that LEB....I will add that it really doesn't make that much of a Difference at short ranges...but at longer ranges it does help quite abit..
As for the Cooling...well that subject is still on the Table in the Gun Industry... :banghead:
BMS

11 years 5 months ago #13403

Thanks for the responses guys. Great info.
11 years 5 months ago #13412

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!