Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Carbon Fiber Barrel and Handguard

• Thank you received: 57

Carbon Fiber Barrel and Handguard was created by JustMe

Finally received all the parts to assemble my new Christensen Arms CA-10 carbon fiber barrel and carbon fiber handguard. Also installed an adjustable gas block incase I decide to add a suppressor. The barrel weighs about 4-5 lbs less than my AR-10T stainless bull barrel, but I didn't think to weigh the difference between the aluminum and carbon fiber handguards. I stood on the bathroom scale and picked up each barrel to see the difference in weight and that's why I said about 4-5 lbs. You can definitely feel the weight difference when I pick up the rifle now. Had to order new accessory mounts because the handguard went from Armalite's attachment slots to the keymod system. Grrrr, more money down the toilet.

Now I need to find a break from my major home remodeling effort to break in the new barrel and work up some loads. It went from a 1:11.25 twist to a 1:10 twist and from a 20" to 18" barrel.

Here's a picture of it sans the accessories which are on order, sights, etc.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JustMe.
8 years 6 months ago #46034

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Carbon Fiber Barrel and Handguard

Look forward to the range report!
How is the balance with the PRS stock now?
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 6 months ago #46035

Replied by JustMe on topic Carbon Fiber Barrel and Handguard

PRS stock makes it a little butt heavy, but I still think I prefer the overall weight reduction to a little imbalance. Once I put a 5-10 round mag in it, the balance will probably change the feel some more either better or worse.

It would be nice if I could find another lighter butt stock that is fully adjustable in length and cheek height like this PRS. I like to adjust the length depending on how many layers of hunting clothes I'm wearing and adjust the cheek height depending on whether I'm using a daylight scope or night vision scope.
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JustMe.
8 years 6 months ago #46037

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Carbon Fiber Barrel and Handguard

Check out the Luth-AR stock, all the features with much less weight. They have been using them in 3 gun competition and ArmaLite sells some factory models with it now.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 6 months ago #46042

Thanks JT. That definitely looks promising if I end up not liking my current rifle balance.
8 years 6 months ago #46047

Installed a Leopold scope and the balance seems about perfect now. I can hold the rifle by only the pistol grip and it's neither barrel heavy nor butt heavy. Hope to make it to the range to break in the barrel and then start shooting for accuracy. Still working on my home remodeling, so no time for the range yet. Sure is a bad itch.
8 years 6 months ago #46101

Was able to hit the range on Sunday to break in the barrel. Shot 20 rounds cleaning between each shot and then shot 4 5-round mags cleaning between each mag. Used 147gr ZQi, 7.62x51. It didn't like this ammo and shot a 2 inch group at 50 yards. Ammo fed well and no jams. There wasn't much brass deposited, but there was a lot of black powder residue, much more than when using Varget, etc. I think the 147grs is too light for this 1:10 twist barrel. Now I need to try some heavier bullets and do some reloading. The barrel stayed very cool. It was 81F out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
8 years 6 months ago #46196

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!