Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Introduction and Range Report!

• Thank you received: 0

Introduction and Range Report! was created by Freqrider

Greetings! I'm new to the forum and the AR platform as well. I just got a venerable, Armalite AR10Tac16 and got out today to zero it. Before even having the rifle I grabbed a set of dies and some brass and started developing a load for it! ;) Using Quickload software and an Optimal Barrel Time chart I guesstimated 41.5 grains of AR Comp powder with 155gr. SMK's @ 2.775 OAL would get me close to a node at 2550 fps. with my 16" barrel. I repeat "guesstimate", since I don't have a chrono.

I started off with some 150 gn. Federal Power Shock to sight her in. First, I closed my gas block all the way and opened it 1.5 turns from 3, I believe. Shot one round at a time to see if the bolt would lock back. It did so I closed it half a turn. Still stayed open on empty mag at 1 turn. Good, I left it there. I determined from my ballistics calculations that a 44 yard zero would also zero at 100 yards so I set up my target at 44 yards and zero'd my BUIS. Not too far off! Then I attached the Nikon 3x9 BDC scope I yanked off my bolt gun using a Weaver SPR Thumbscrew mount. Well that was way off! (7" low and 7" left) a few clicks and 10 shots later I had both sight systems zeroed at 44 yards! Now for the real test. 100 yards with my reloads. Bolt didn't lock back so I opened the gas block half a turn. Four shots, three just about touching! About 1 moa high and to the left. Not bad for aiming at a piece of tape from 100 yds! Shot a few 180 gn SGKs I reloaded as well using 39gn AR Comp. No real appreciable difference in POI from the two at 100 yds. Blasted a water jug and a squash someone left there as well. This gun is gunna be boring to shoot. It hits everything I point it at! ;)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Freqrider.
7 years 3 months ago #47782

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Introduction and Range Report!

:welcome: Sounds like you have a winner! Wish I had time for the reloading bench myself. That is one crazy looking muzzle brake, does it work well?
LIBERTY FIRST!
7 years 3 months ago #47783

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by super8mm on topic Introduction and Range Report!

Welcome,

maybe you need to practice your art work??

use some of those reinforcement rings for notebook paper and stick them on in a face shape and then shoot the holes out :thumbs:
7 years 3 months ago #47784

Replied by Freqrider on topic Introduction and Range Report!

I have nothing to compare it to, really. Armalite calls it a compensator/flash supressor, though the reviews of the rifle claim it is not very good at doing either? But ya, itlooks cool! Thinking of sharpening it if I ever need to reach out and poke someone! ;)
7 years 3 months ago #47785

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Introduction and Range Report!

Nice looking rifle, welcome to the forum. Lots to read.
7 years 3 months ago #47786

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Introduction and Range Report!

Congrats , you have a shooter. Quickload is a good program. Just watch out for those chamber pressures.
7 years 3 months ago #47789

Replied by Freqrider on topic Introduction and Range Report!

I make a habit of measuring bullet length, case capacity in grains of H2O, case length, and inputting these variables into QuickLoad, rather than relying on the supplied data. It's more accurate this way. Also, with my shorter length barrel, it's not possible to safely attain velocities fast enough to approach the higher accuracy nodes. My loads are well below Alliant's max. I've been reloading 300 win mag for some time now, haven't blown one up yet! ;)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Freqrider.
7 years 3 months ago #47792

This message has an attachment image.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Introduction and Range Report!

I have a 26" barrel and opted for a node we found around 2650. Really no reason to push above that for me . I like long barrel life, lets me really get to know the weapon. If I want more HP I go to another platform as easy as that.
7 years 3 months ago #47793

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Introduction and Range Report!

Still hoping we have some of the original members show up again. This used to be a very good forum. If not maybe we can get some new members going. Not an AR10, but I took out my M1A and sighted in a new 1x6X first focal plane scope with my 168 gr Sierra Match King reloads. It took two shots to adjust the scope once I got it to the 100 yard range. you can see the results below.
7 years 3 months ago #47794

This message has attachments images.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by super8mm on topic Introduction and Range Report!

Very good group
7 years 3 months ago #47795

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!