Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Matrix Aerospace Matched Billet Set Build

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Matrix Aerospace Matched Billet Set Build

Yea I've drilled them.
Did the gas block and barrel have the same diameter hole size? (I'm sure their aligned) If so I'd try a lighter buffer first, or some hotter ammo, not sure sometimes the match is a little underpowered. I really would drill only as the last resort, .005-.010 the most at a time. Or maybe time for the adjustable gas block :unsure: So many choices :pinch:
I'm having the same problem on a AR-15 I'm going to try the lighter buffer first as it's laying around the shop. It was every round and tried different ammo and went to about 1out of 4 + it's an H4 buffer.
AKAI
8 years 7 months ago #45914

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Matrix Aerospace Matched Billet Set Build

The gas block hole is a good bit bigger than the port. It was pre-dimpled and lined up perfectly centered. I don't think they make a lighter buffer than the 3.7 oz I have, maybe I can take out a weight or cut a bit off the spring...........I'd rather have a bit more gas than have to worry about the rifle not going into battery if it gets a little dirty though.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 7 months ago #45915

You don't think ammo could be problem either.
Instead of cutting the spring you can heat with a propane torch and compress one area with a pliers, if you go that way it doesn't ruin the flat on the ends of the spring..
Drill that barrel a little at a time, since you had problems with the threads, wonder if it was made on a Friday or Monday, may be they forgot to finish reaming it. Check the size and compare to what it should be.
AKAI
8 years 7 months ago #45916

The muzzle thread issue was due to fed-ex dropping it on something HARD. The chamber and bore shine like a mirror and it was headspaced to the bolt as well as function tested with my dummy rounds.
It hasn't been easy but got info on another forum from a measurement off another 16 inch rifle length gas system, turns out a 7/64 is the closest size bit, .1095" was the size listed and that rifle has worked fine on all ammo. If I end up over-gassed then I'll put an adjustable gas block on but I'm betting this will work
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 7 months ago #45917

Better to start small and enlarge from there, Start at .093 and doing some research .106 Max.
Just sitting at home now and I'm sure you can Google the proper drill sizes, Letter, #. Fractional and Metric. Drilling should work fine, make sure to drill square, level and true with lots of lube.Take it easy and slow when it's about to break thru otherwise drills like to catch. Hopefully your doing it in a drill press! Reaming would leave less of a burr, but after the first shot all should be good.
AKAI
8 years 7 months ago #45919

Checked what I have with the bits on hand, .077" fits, .083" no go. I'll get set up with the bits between .086" and the .1095" and work my way up. I've got a wood dowel to put in the bore so I can drill each one at the range, I hope. maybe do the first one in the press at Dads but otherwise I'd be back and forth so much I'd lose the rifle :blink:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 7 months ago #45920

I heard from Dustin at X-Caliber barrels today. He said this was a first for them and they would like me to ship them the whole upper so they can sort out what the issue is, you gotta give these guys an A+ for customer service!
I'm not sure if I want to though, I'd kind of like to get the experience of fixing it myself.....but then I remember all the bits and taps I've broken off and start to think I should send it in???????
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
8 years 7 months ago #45926

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Matrix Aerospace Matched Billet Set Build

Very Nice , looks like its going to be pretty accurate JT. How bout some 100yd groups with those 175 match bullets. I am thinking I need one now, and the kid for sure.
8 years 7 months ago #45930

I've gotta get the function issues worked out before I do any serious groups but it does look promising.
X-Caliber emailed again today asking me to send the whole upper in so they can trouble shoot....I think I'm the guinea pig for their first rifle length gas system on a carbine length barrel. Between work getting a little busy for the next couple months and the extra ammo cost of trouble shooting I'm getting more tempted to let them fix it.......still kinda want to figure it out myself though :unsure:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 7 months ago #45931

I forgot to add my experience with a "308 AR specific" forward assist. It was advertised as having a "longer pawl" to reach the serrations on the BC, mine doesn't have the serrations but I thought it would at least bump the shoulder if needed. It reached alright, prevented the bolt from moving back after about a 1/4 inch. I'm not sure what 308 AR these might fit but it didn't work at all for me on this build.
I'm going to replace it with a delete plug. :whistle:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 7 months ago #45933

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!