Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reload Specs I am Using

• Thank you received: 0

Reload Specs I am Using was created by Hillbilly1053

Hey Folks:

I am reloading Hornady match ammo brass (LAPUA is back ordered to May or June) shot once, 168 a-max molies. CCI 200 primers (only ones I could get that cross reference to the CCI 34).

I have read the 'Reloading for Semi Autos and Service Rifles'
(www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm)
Makes me a bit wary, but also indicates the AR's are more forgiving as it pertains to Slam Fires.

How much VARGET would you start with?

Comments appreciated...
15 years 3 months ago #1019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

I am using the same bullets and primers that you are and am happy. I use imr 4895 powder, 42 grains, for my 308, because it is readily available and I always liked it for my .243 bolt action.
FYI, I am now using up some cci 200 primers that I bought in the early 1970's and forgot I had and they are working fine.
15 years 3 months ago #1036

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

Thanks for the feedback. BTW, I finished loading a few rounds and firing them yesterday. 168 A-MAX, Moly coated in a Lee tumbler, 44 gr of Hogdon VARGET. CCI 200 Primers. It was the first batch ever (15 rounds).

I first shot 20 rounds of Winchester 168 Silver Tip commercial ammo I bought at Cabela's. I had to manually cycle every single round. Not one round stripped the next round form the mag. I calipered the spent brass and it was WAY out of spec. Long out of spec.

Next I fired my hand-loads. I was very pleased,with only one misfire. I am sure the misfire was a my fault. The round never chambered fully so I figure it was case sizing or headspace. The round was stripped and the bolt closed but the shuolder of the neck was bent once I got the round cleared. I was lucky I didn't get a slam-fire.

But the other rounds (my hand-loads)cycled fine. So I am beginning to suspect the need for loading a hot enough round to cycle the weapon correctly.

Any comments on the Winchester? It would fire and eject the spent case, but not strip and chamber the next round...

Thanks again for the feedback.
15 years 3 months ago #1038

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

Hillbilly1053,

You can get loading information from the powder company's web sights. www.hodgdon.com will get you both hodgdon and IMR info as Hodgdon now owns IMR and Winchester powders. Alliant also posts their loading manuals data. My Hodgdon manual shows 42.0 gr. of Varget as a starting load for 168 gr. bullets and a max of 46.0 gr. 46.0 gr. is a compressed load which means you're going to here it crunch as you seat the bullet. I hold the case against an orbital sander for a second or 2 to shake the powder down before seating. Anything that vibrates would work. Trim your cases every time as you don't want the end of the neck to bottom on the chamber. Hornady cases will be correctly trimmed new but with each firing/resizing cycle they will grow. Lee case trimer works well and is economical. Max length for a loaded round is 2.8" from base to bullet tip, if your winchester ammo is longer than this that may be why it wont feed, check it with a caliper. I tried to adjust for less shoulder set back when I re-size but my AR won't accept anything but a full re-size. So far I've been through about 60 NATO surplus and as many reloads and no FTF's of any kind, my AR likes everything! My hand loads have been mostly starting loads and thus lower powered but rifle functions fine. Interestingly the velocities out of my 16" barrel are'nt much lower than the published data, about 60 fps. Have fun.
15 years 3 months ago #1040

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

Hillbilly,

Is your bolt locking back on last round? How many rounds since new is your rifle?

If your rifle is short cycling it may not feed and will not lock the bolt open on the last round.

Let us know. There are fixes.
15 years 3 months ago #1043

This is basically a new rifle. Less than 100 rounds fired. So far, I have not been able to get through an entire 10-round mag, without jams, so I cannot say whether or not it locks back on the last round. I think the rifle is tight, and I am not able to get good ammo. I trying to make the ammo. Since I am new at reloading semi's, I am also blaming a learning curve. I am going to purchase an RCBS Precision Mic Set to get the head space right. This is a slow process, and I am depending upon the kindness and expertise of strangers. And my own research. If I have to send it back to Armalite, then I will have confidence issues with the rifle. It is frustrating to hear how happy everyone else is with their AR while I am having trouble every time I fire it. No ammo, no components, sketchy information. I bought this weapon because I wanted to have a dependable service weapon. I do not want to have any doubts about it if the situation ever arises that actually need to use it. I did not but it for deer hunting. I went with the 308 for energy and (supposed) availability of plentiful NATO ammo. Every thing I read says that cheap ammo is a bad decision. I have had jams with every commercial grade of ammo I have purchased.

Armalite advises against hand loads. I cannot purchase the ammo Armalite recommends(Black Hills), anywhere.
So I don't expect any help from them.

I have 1300 bucks in the gun and more than that in Trijicon optics. I am beginning to feel a little foolish and frustrated.

I cannot put the whole package together. Can't buy the ammo. Can;t get the components so that I can place the blame squarely upon my reloading or the weapon...
15 years 3 months ago #1046

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

My AR10T is happy with any ammo that cost me at least $28 a box, but anything cheaper causes the same problems you are having.100% of my reloads have performed flawlessly in the gun by using the small resizer dies(very important). I also trim my cases to 1.99inch after every use,and using a moderate powder load. I make sure the finished ammo is at 2.80inches with a caliper.
My FNAR 308 will shoot anything I put in it, so I am buying the cheap ammo, shoot it in the FNAR ( to get the brass) and use my reloads on the AR10T. If I do use the cheap ammo in the AR10T, I leave the clip out and feed them by hand one at a time.
15 years 3 months ago #1047

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Reload Specs I am Using

Hillbilly1053,

Ditto what Foxhunter said about case length and overall length. I do not use a smallbase die but have to size completely, i.e. my FL die is adjusted to touch the shell holder at top of ram stroke, then screwed in 1/8 turn further. I suspect that there is not much clearance at base of chamber but my loads work flawlessly. Your match barrel chamber may be tighter and you may indeed need a smallbase die. My understanding from reading your posts though is that your handloads work fine. What constitutes cheap ammo? I have some NATO ball that has 147gr. bullets and chronos at 2566, not real hot, but it works fine in my gun. Occasionally I don't get my mag fully home, it feels like it latched but it's actually about 1/4" short, and the bolt will not catch the round and I get a flinch check. I don't shoot Wolf or any other Russian crap. Is your bolt and carrier greased? An AR guru at local gun shop showed me how to lube and recommended Mil-comm TW-25B, a synthetic grease. Run a thin bead down each of the 4 lands on the bolt carrier, between each lug on bolt and on cam pin of bolt. I've seen several references to grease working better than oil in these spots. Hope this helps.
15 years 3 months ago #1048

Thanks Scaup58. I will give the grease a try. I have heard of molybdenum disulfide grease beiing used. Also the dies...I am using out-of-the-box RCBS two-die set. I believe this to be full-length sizing. But I don't understand about small-base dies?

This would probably help with the gun being new.

Do any of you guys use Precision Mics or other guages for checking head-space?
15 years 3 months ago #1050

And I would appreciate knowing about your crimping approach...The RCBS guides say 'if you are not satisfied with the crimp'. What should I be looking for?
15 years 3 months ago #1051

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!