Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

to crimp or not to crimp

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

Well my friend, I have to say you are passionate, so to say, about this topic at best. I will give it some thought. I do not shoot matches at this time, I hope to start maybe this spring and probably will stick with my factory ammo when I do....and being that I have a "stock" A4 CB I think that high end match loads would be a waist, maybe..I know you are on a level that it will take me well into retirement to reach, if ever, but being an amateur I have to say I will go with the book for now....
When I progress to the next level, maybe I will give it a try.
On the mixing of powder, Well I leave that in the hands of the experts that have ALL the controlled environments to test them.
Meaning no offense my friend and thanks for the info...
On the 60% up on arms, that I can agree. I talked to a guy that worked for the D.O.D in acquisitions and heard what colt was selling AR-15s and M4s to the government for...made me want to cry....at what the mark up was....for civilians.
Again thanks for the input...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2735
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Latitude 64 on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

I agree with "Building My SASS", especially on the powder issue.

I started reloading at age 17 in 1962 with the old lyman 310 "nut cracker" tool for .44 special. A can of 2400 was $3.10 and 100 large pistol primers about 80 cents. Elmer Keith, Jack O'Conner and Warren Page could not write many atricles without my reading them. I have done many things -some wise:some foolish- in my reloading career.

However, mixing powder has not been one of them. I am not saying that some wise reloader from days of old has not mastered the art of powder mixing. If they have masterd the art, I wish them to live long and prosper.
Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by Latitude 64.
14 years 4 months ago #2737
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

I'm glad I threw out the duplex load stuff (mixed powder) that gives me a good idea of where everyone is on the subject. I bet Hank konws all about it. In the NRA rule book there is a section on the percent of mix allowed in competition. I said this one would draw alot of openions. In some of the advance classes I bring students up to speed on duplex loading. Its alot of good info ol line.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2738
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

I was going to drop out of this thread, but since my name has come up, I can't resist. It's obvious from the posts here that most participants aren't super experts. Most are seeking basic, safe handloading information that will not risk their guns, eyes and fingers. I feel strongly that it's irresponsible to even suggest that people might consider trying duplex (mixed) powder loads. Besides, there is no earthly reason to. Handloaders now have over 120 different powders to try, including a bunch developed specifically for benchrest use. If this web site was devoted to hard core ballistic experimenters, fine. But it's not.

MSH, I must respectfully differ from you on this entire topic. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm still very much interested in safe handloading, and the teaching of it. I trust well equiped labs and the guys running them more than I trust intrepid experimenters working out of their basements. I mean no offense, but we have an obligation to guys who spend $1600+ on an AR10, and then want a little basic handloading advice, and still want to keep all their fingers and eyes.

I've said my piece, so I'm now out of this thread.
14 years 4 months ago #2740
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Latitude 64 on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

I fully endorse the reply from
14 years 4 months ago #2747
  • Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

Wow, this has gone far into the levels beyond myself and many others....I have to agree that all the manuals that I have read explicitly say "do not mix powders" this pertains to the beginner and up to seasoned reloaders..
I read a piece about "blending powders" just recently and it said that ONLY THE MOST SKILLED AND EQUIPPED should even attempt this procedure. The ones that have the knowledge of the physics and the equipment to test the loads.....Well that definitely leave me outside the building...LOL. I am sure that MSH has the necessary means to do this given his level of experience as do a few other members on this forum....SO YOU NEW RELOADERS....DON'T TRY THAT AT HOME....(including myself)
Sorry to jump in with this, just don't want it to get out of hand....we are all professionals here in some way...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2752
  • Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:to crimp or not to crimp

mmsshh wrote:
Isn't that the truth. Maybe you can publish a book someday for all the skeptics and pass along the secrets of a wise reloader.
14 years 4 months ago #2756

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!