Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrels, Projectiles and Cartridge Prep. 3 parts

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: Projectile prep, Part 2 b

Wow. Great info and fantastic effort. Thanks a lot. Jer
12 years 9 months ago #8400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 42

Replied by zfk55 on topic Re: Barrels, Projectiles and Cartridge Prep. 3 parts

Thanks. I should have another installment later today.
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 9 months ago #8401

Sorry this has taken so long. A huge project in the studio interrupted my putting together the next two parts. I'll certainly have it all together by the weekend.
Thanks
Latigo

"When futile negotiating is done, when the corrupt politicians will not hear, when the voice of the citizens is ignored you will then face me under a different and final circumstance."

Col. Michael Hoare
12 years 8 months ago #8586

Ok Gents. The project is finished and I'll get back on the rest of this as soon as I can. That was literally a 4 month project.
Latigo

Col. Michael Hoare
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii
12 years 3 months ago #10006

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Barrels, Projectiles and Cartridge Prep. 3 parts

Thought I'd report back after some time had passed, I've treated my Ar-10 barrel three times now with HBN. I didn't notice a thing the first time, thought maybe it cleaned a little easier after the second time. After the third treatment I went through 80 rounds, the fourth patch through came out clean. Chrome lined or not it seemed to make a difference in my rifle when it came to cleaning. I don't have a chrono so I can't comment on fps changes but the scope zero has stayed on. I'm still not sure I understand why it cleans so much easier but now I'm convinced it does.
I've got enough left over to pass out a few samples if a few of my brothers here want to try it, I'm a little nervous about mailing a fine white powder but it is to good a trick not to share with my brothers! I bought a couple ounces on ebay and have way more than I could use in many decades. I mixed about 1/8 ounce of HBN powder with maybe a 1/4 cup of chemically pure alcohol and have treated 6 guns several times now with more than 1/2 left. ZFK55 made the directions so easy to understand your average 7 year old could easily do it. I'm going to start treating my bolt carrier group and all the other metal on metal moving parts, even disregarding the lube value this stuff is worth it just for the ease of cleaning it provides. I'm betting this stuff is in many of those miracle fluids for guns. thanks for sharing all your hard earned knowledge with us zfk55!
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11915

Hi JT. How are you cleaning your barrel? Did you note this small section?

Cleaning is done with dry patches, no chemicals at all.
For the chamber/throat area, use the right sized swab to fit into each and use Montana Extreme or a like carbon remover. Don't run any cleaning solvents down the bore.
If you feel the need to do that once in a while, cool...... but make sure you use the clean swab and do the hBN/Alcohol slurry process again. It only takes a few minutes. I unscrew the swab and keep it inside the slurry pill bottle so that it remains uncontaiminated.
To understand how it works, save me a bunch of typing and read the patent.
So how often do you clean an impact coated bore? 50 rounds? 100? 200? 300? 1,000? I don't know yet. No cleaning required so far, and if the patent is correct it will be a long time to come.
The Hawkeye Borescope always tells the glaring truth about your bore. After each shooting session I pass one dry patch down the bore, just once. So far in any and all of the bores thus treated.......... no necessity to clean at all. The most amazing has been the little .22 rifles

As long as no copper is showing in your bore there's no need to clean at all other than with a dry patch after each shooting session.
Glad it's working for you! We're now entering our third year and still showing no wear whatsoever on any of the hBN treated bores.
Latigo

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 10 months ago #11916

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Barrels, Projectiles and Cartridge Prep. 3 parts

The first couple times I gave up on the dry and used some No. 9. I would then re-treat with the copper remover, alcohol, and Hbn. This time the first patch through looked much cleaner than I was used to, by the fourth dry patch it looked the same coming out as going in. It does take some willpower not to run a wet patch down the bore just to make sure. I don't have one of those fancy bore scopes so I'll just clean the copper out when my groups change now. Thanks again, Jim
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11918

Jim, I assume you're firing a hBN ICP withing minutes or coating the bore? And then you're only shooting ICPs after that?
Latigo

Col. Michael Hoare
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by zfk55.
11 years 10 months ago #11920

No, I hope too some day but right now I'm using NATO marked surplus, the accuracy is so much better than I expected I haven't started loading for it yet. I figured I wouldn't be getting the full potential without coated bullets but I want to do everything I can to keep my Armalite shooting just like it is. I've seen enough results to want to try the full treatment soon though!
I'm tempted to treat my bolt carrier group in the tumbler, one part at a time of course, maybe start with the guts of a Ruger 10/22 first just to see what happens.
Just baffles me how this coating I can't see is there at all after 80 rounds but the clean patches can't lie. :)
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 10 months ago #11921

The true results will show only when you shoot only ICPs. You won't have to clean your barrel for an easy 500 rounds or more. The correctly coated ICPs are what will stop your barrel wear. "Stop" is subjective. If you expect 12,000+ rounds to be your barrel life, you'll easily double it and even triple it.
Latigo

Col. Michael Hoare
11 years 10 months ago #11922

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!