Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

And I would never, ever trust my life with the LG. Like I said, I can see it as a good scope to put on a cheap plinker.
9 years 4 months ago #43452

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by mr308 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Nice write up of the scopes and glad it's held up for you thus far.

I was under the impression that Siscowet was looking for a scope for extremely harsh conditions. Seen far too many Vortex PST failures to give them any confidence.
9 years 4 months ago #43453

Haha... yeah, I eventually realized that when I reread your post.
9 years 4 months ago #43454

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Its all in what the purchasers expectations/usage/intentions are. For instance it sounds like guy wanted a full function scope with all the bells and whistles. Sounds like he got a good deal. For his needs it filled the bill nicely. By the way great write up Guy, nice pictures well thought out. I came away knowing that scope a lot better. I look forward to your further contributions to the site.
Mr 308 perhaps you could do a right up on what you consider a good practical fighting rifle should have on top of it and why. It sounds like you have something to contribute. I and others here are always open to enlightenment and education. I am always looking for differing opinions and the experiences and conditions behind them. I think you will find my own personal choices well documented in the posts on this site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
9 years 4 months ago #43455

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

No I am not looking for a scope. I just appreciate it when some one like That Guy takes the time to do a good write up to share his experience.
I am very happy with my Burris on my 10 T carbine, and my 4x16 Monarch on my AR10 rifle.
Actually my next scope is going to be a replacement for that Burris monster I have on my AR15 rifle.
It is a Burris Eliminator with the built in laser range finder and bullet compensation calculator. Way too big and heavy to be useful.
9 years 4 months ago #43456

Excellent post. I think it's very important to state your intended usage for the items you wish to discuss so that guys can assist, make recommendations and understand the discussion better. Obviously I misunderstood the intended usage for this scope and apologize for my confusion.

This thread was pertaining to a comparison of two affordable scopes. However... those "if your life was on the line" statements inferred to me that someone was talking about a piece of gear needed to take to war, use in a professional setting or be dependent on in a harsh long-term survival situation.

Maybe in the future I will do a write up on scopes I use and why, but I don't come here to talk about myself (and don't like to anyway) was just trying to help out in this case.
9 years 4 months ago #43459

Life on the line was iust a euphemism for if you needed it critically, such as taking game in a survival situation, or if it was going to take hard use where there was no easy replacement. If it was war and I had a choice probably a Leopold or something similar.
9 years 4 months ago #43463

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

I bought several budget scopes (Osprey) when the reps were at a gun show.
They had some fantastic introductory prices when they first came out.
I figured I would use them till I could afford better ones.
I put a 6 to 24 on my AR15, and put a 8 to 40 on my DPMS LR308.
I also bought a 3 to 12, I put on a .308 Mauser ''sniper''
Work around here has been slow, so I still had them on my rifles when I went to Wyoming prairie dog hunting last June.
No they are not $1500.00 Nightforce scopes, but they worked fine.
The top turrets seem a little sloppy , but after setting ''0" the repeat back to "0" was excellent.
The rangefinders in them SUCK, they look like the sight on a Law rocket launcher, and after several emails to the company, no one could come up with directions to use it, except to say that at X power, the grid was 4 inches at 100 yds.
They do have "mil dots" in the center, that do have the right spacing, and hold over with them was where they were supposed to be.
The illuminated reticules in them worked fine, and had to use them on wet hills after a rain, as the dirt was as black as the cross hairs, and later when at dusk.
I was able to make consistant hits at 100 to 425 yards with the AR15, AND HITS WITH THE DPMS from 400 to 700 yds.
I put 1500 rds. of .308, and 2000 rds. .223 and they are still on "0"
At long range they looked hazy, and I thought it was cheap optics, and after looking at the other 3 guys high dollar 3 different brand name scopes , they were clearer than 2 of the scopes in the 4 to $700.00 range.
The 6-24 is clear all the way through the settings, and the 8-40 gets fuzzy after 36-38X the last 2X might as well be not there, but it beats the crap out of my Tasco World Class 24X as it is useless after 16-18X.
Both these rifles are "soft" recoil due to being semi-auto , but I have put over 500 rds. .308 through my 98K "sniper", and that scope has held up fine, and that rifle kicks the bejesus out of your shoulder when wearing a Tshirt.
So if you are on a low budget like me, I would recommend one of their ''economy ''scopes (Osprey International)
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83, Siscowet, Libertarian623
9 years 4 months ago #43516

Good thread with some real world reviews. :nicethread:
9 years 4 months ago #43526

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

I saw a scope the other day that I will eventually buy. But its pretty far down the list . its by a new company that is doing great things. I got a buddy with a relative that works there. its in Halifax NS. The company is Tangent Theta. And they are going to storm the high end scope market in the next couple years. Keep a eye out for them.
9 years 4 months ago #43540

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!