Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Recommended Scopes

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Recommended Scopes

I found it! www.primaryarms.com/ad-t1-10/p/ad-t1-10/

It says it's for Aimpoint, but the mounting plate looks exactly like the Sparc. I'll verify that with ADM before ordering, but I believe that's it.

Thanks!
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
8 years 3 months ago #47055

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If anyone needs more evidence that I have gone completely nuts here it is: Last Friday evening I was perusing GB and searched for a Sako TRG-42 in .338L. And there IT was! Complete with bipod and muzzle brake. 13 hrs to go and no bid. So I bid on it. Next morning I woke up with a bit of buyer's remorse, but that faded when the second cup of coffee kicked in, and by noon I was hoping I was high bidder.

I trotted off to work at 14:00, and was radio silent until 19:00 when I got meal break. Then I checked my messages and found out that I won the auction. Oh, crap! :-)

Payment has been sent, FFL has been received, and I need some ammo. Nobody carries .338L locally. I'm thinking Hornanaday 250 Gr InterLock® SP or 250 gr BTHP MATCH™ to start. And I need some glass! This brings me to the point of my post:

Are there any scopes other than the ones in the article posted by funfred that I should consider? I checked that article out in detail, but maybe there's new stuff I should look at. I would like a 34mm tube, 55mm objective, 1st focal plane, mil-dot, and a magnification range of roughly 4-30.

I have wanted a Sako TRG-42 in .338L for a few years now. I guess the stars were right. :-)

Charlie
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Charlie. Reason: Typo.
8 years 3 months ago #47105

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic Recommended Scopes

First off, congrats on the purchase. There always seems to be some trepidation about throwin' down that kind of money but, hey, if it's something you've wanted for years, it's only gonna be more expensive in the coming years. (Took me twenty years to buy an H&K P7 and the price quadrupled).

Second off, that's a beautiful piece. As a former-Marine friend might say, "That's a fine weapon". You'd do well to fit it with some premium glass.

Third? Well, I think I read that scope link two, three or four times when narrowing down my selection. Of particular importance, to me anyway, was the mechanical and reticle accuracy. With a firearm of the Sako's caliber(play on words), the accuracy of the scope has to be beyond question. I don't know that you could find that info on your own before making the purchase of something NOT on the list. However, there's the consideration that any MFG in that group is likely to carry the same level of quality throughout their top shelf offerings.

With all that said, I'd have to re-read the link, keeping in mind the platform you have. Off the top of my head, my first instinct is S&B but, like I said, I'd have to re-read the link's particulars concerning that brand and it's competitors.

Your platform deserves glass that's above and beyond. What that glass is, whether it be on the list or not, must certainly be capable of the accuracy needed to support the weapon's capabilities.

I know I didn't answer your question concerning other offerings but, really, what else is there? Leica, Swarovski and Trijicon are the only things that come to mind.

Prior to purchasing my Steiner, I had gone to B&H Photo to finger some optics choices. I picked up a Swarovski and, yeah, that was really nice. Then I picked up a S&B...the difference was like looking through Rx eyeglasses vs reading glasses off the shelf. The difference really was that striking.

A little digging at B&H's site and it seems S&B is the only MFG, at least of those offered, that even comes close to what you're looking for...retail starting at $6K. If I were told that S&B was my only option, I'd be looking at the Hensoldt as well, with the emphasis on the scope's mechanical accuracy.

Further down the line - Leupold and Nightforce, while also considering the Leica and Swarovski. The Trijicon doesn't fit your spec requirements.

If it comes to push-n-shove, compromise on the max magnification. After 20x, things get really difficult to hold steady and mirage effect can be crippling. I think you'll be dialing back anyway on all but the most perfect of days. How many of those have you encountered? ;)

One last thing, scope mount. I'd get the beefiest thing you could find with three sets of fasteners per ring. You don't want something questionable holding a $10K platform together.

Don't forget pics of your new pride-n-joy in it's own environment! :thumbs:
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by funfred.
8 years 3 months ago #47108

Back in the early '80s I got an FFL. I stocked mostly H&K, CZ, Colt AR, Glock 17, IMI Uzis and Steyr AUGs. Nobody else had that kind of stuff, so my place kind'a stood out. H&K sold direct in those days, and I stocked the P7 M8 and an M13. Gas delayed blowback squeeze cockers! They were really cool, but they left in a hurry and I never got to shoot one.

Charlie
8 years 3 months ago #47116

I'm sure you heard all about 'em, tho'.
(P7 owners can't wait to tell ya how awesome it is). :lol:
8 years 3 months ago #47121

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Recommended Scopes

I second Freds S&B recommendation, until you go out and shoot one you wont beleive the quality of that optics light gathering capabilty. After you will be spoiled for life. Kinda like when you shoot action shooting with a ACOG, you just can't look at the rest in the same way anymore.
8 years 3 months ago #47125

True long range shooting is new subject for me. I'm just now beginning to process the data, and I agree. Those are solid recommendations. I'm wondering where I can put my hands on a S&B to check it out, but of course any piddly fiddling I did with it wouldn't come close to an engineer actually measuring and comparing like in that article. Hmmmm ...

I will definitely post a pic or three when it meanders this way.

UPDATE: The Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 rings all the bells, and it's #1 in the precisionrifleblog test. Gentlemen, I have found my glass!
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Charlie.
8 years 3 months ago #47131

That_is_ awesome! If I weren't really excited just hearing that someone is putting such a piece together, I'd be jealous. :D
I can't imagine how you feel. That first squeeze of a live trigger is gonna be unforgettable.

I don't know what end-game you have in mind and how that will affect your choice of scope mount, but I wish I could add something of pertinence. If it were me, I'd be looking for a Spuhr, which the guy in that scope test used. I hadn't heard of them before but the design is both progressive and rock solid. (I put one on my AR10).
The flat sides of the Spuhr offer unimpeded visual/tactile access to the turrets, there are pre-threaded mount points seemingly everywhere for the addition of other accessory mounts, it has a built-in cant level, there's a simple/stupid feature to index the scope in the rings and there's one for the TRG with 30MOA built in to support dialing up a 2000meter shot. High dollar but I think it's soooo worth it.
www.eurooptic.com/sako-trg-m10-scope-mou...a-34mm-sp-4902s.aspx
Spuhr's site shows others with varying MOAs.
spuhrwebshop.com/en/trg/
Keep in mind the desired scope height when you make your choice. Spuhr has some variety there, as well.

I can't stop shaking my head...this thing is gonna be beautifully and unbelievably effective.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by funfred.
8 years 3 months ago #47140

Thanks. I saw those mounts somewhere on eurooptic and then lost the link. That is the one I'm considering.

I'm still getting used to the idea that this project is an order of magnitude greater than anything I have done before. B)
8 years 3 months ago #47142

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Recommended Scopes

Awesome set up Charlie. Seriously you should be able to shoot 1/2 moa to 1200 with that setup. And 1 moa out as far as the wind allows. Your better start scouting shooting spots.
8 years 3 months ago #47171

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!