Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

open sights

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic open sights

When I bought my AR-10, I specifically chose the "carry handle" model just FOR the irons.

Since I've never really done much with scopes in the past and most everything for me has been VERY close up, scopes are just beginning to open up to me. Since I'm wearing reading glasses all the time now, my eyes are dropping off more all the damn time.

I've found that 50s and 100s are still solid but once I start making that stretch out to 200, I have to fire very quickly because the sight and the targets start becoming ONE and it seems to phase a bit on me if I shoot for any amount of time.

I'm definitely still all in the kill zone for a deuce but can't seem to really zone in due to the damn fuzziness I end up getting... :blink:
10 years 11 months ago #22636

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic open sights

Another reason for the increased use of optics is toughness. Optics from the 50's-80's were fragile things you always had to be mindful of how you treated. I remember covering my scope in bubble wrap and honeycomb cardboard prior to jumps in a vain attempt to preserve my zero.

Today, many scopes can take a true beating and keep going. The manufacturing processes have gotten better, the materials used have gotten better too. An Aimpoint or ACOG is very nearly grunt-proof, which is saying something because most grunts (myself included) can break an anvil.

I continue to think that iron sights are relevant in developing good shooting habits in beginners.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 11 months ago #22651

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic open sights

I have often wondered about that and not so sure it does other than from a good sight picture viewpoint?????

That said I am lazy and or find myself without tools and I have learned to rely up sight picture in lieu of adjustments. I zero and adjust the sight pic to register, not adjust the sight, LOL. Again look at my age. Did not always have a leatherman in my pocket or anything else and you find yourself on some kind of hunt. You dial in the eyeball sight picture rather than adjusting the sights themselves. Does it work, you betcha! Is it the best way, NO WAY! Iron sights today are good, really good compared the blade and some very coarse adjustments on the rear sight of yesterday.

I have not fully transitioned to glass yet so I will see how valuable learning iron was to me...
10 years 11 months ago #22656

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic open sights

Biggest mistake I ever made teaching my son to shoot, was when I put a red dot on his new Savage 22, when he was 10. Fortunately he was smarter that time than his Dad and asked me to take it off so he could learn to shoot with the iron sights. That red dot is still collecting dust, and he can still hit whatever he is shooting at with that .22 with just the irons.
10 years 11 months ago #22658

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!