Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10T weight distribution question

• Thank you received: 1

AR10T weight distribution question was created by grizgrin

Good morning, hope everyone is well. My question is about the fact that my AR10T is very nose-heavy. Why is this? Is it the SS bull barrel? Maybe the handguard (seems pretty beefy)? It's not tremendously nose-heavy, but would hate to have it up all day.

Thanks.
9 years 4 months ago #43210

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T weight distribution question

Bull barrel AR's rifles do seem nose heavy. The one SASS I have handled I noticed that. Also noted it in a DPMS with a stainless bull barrel. My 10T carbine witth the 16 inch bull barrel, I really don't notice it. I guess ceramic coated stainless steel is just gonna be heavy, especially out at the end of the barrel. That extra four inches makes a difference. ( did I really say that?)
9 years 4 months ago #43211

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR10T weight distribution question

Every thing has its place, obviously the AR10T is not a CQB weapon. But the heavy barrel makes everything settle in a hurry for rapid follow up shots at range. The more you practice the more you will forget about it. Took about 600 rounds through the AR pistol this year before I finally reached nirvana and forgot about the missing stock. Stock who needs a freaking stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grizgrin
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 4 months ago #43215

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T weight distribution question

The other question I have does it still feel extremely nose heavy with a loaded 20 magazine in it? My standard rifle was nose heavy until I slapped a full magazine in it. That made a big difference. My 10T carbine seems perfectly balanced once I put a full magazine in.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 4 months ago #43219

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR10T weight distribution question

They make a counter-weight for A2 stocks to help balance it out but I can't imagine wanting even more weight.......the AR-10 is not a real good off-hand shooter unless you're King Kong. ;)
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43220

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic AR10T weight distribution question

To add to the perspectives...

My 20" SASS(11.8lb) with an Atlas bipod(11oz), 2lb scope and ~10oz mount balances slightly in front of the mag well (within hand's width) with no mag inserted.

That's about 15.25lb of spec-ed weight. I've not weighed it myself.

<edit> Oops, brainfart...I was relying on memory. While I don't currently have the bipod mounted, it balances in the forward end of the mag well. Seems like a good place as mags, full or empty, would not unduly disrupt the balance.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by funfred.
9 years 4 months ago #43226

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Michael_D_Henry on topic AR10T weight distribution question

Mine weighs 15lbs fully loaded with a 20rd mag
9 years 4 months ago #43351

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic AR10T weight distribution question

I put the 3.5lb lead weight in the buttstock of mine. I had to drill it out to accommodate the adjustable buttplate so it is probably somewhere around 3lbs of added weight.

Since my AR-10T is not hauled up mountain trails or carried over 200 yards the weight does not really matter to me.
9 years 4 months ago #43364

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!