Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Mcfarland gas rings

• Thank you received: 0

Mcfarland gas rings was created by lotoofla

I have a AR-10(T) upper receiver assembly that came with a McFarland gas ring. As a former DoD Armorer I've rebuilt thousands of M16/XM16E1's to the 'A1' configuration to be sold/given to our allies. I knew when the gas rings were worn, or missing because the bolt head would slide easly in the carrier. With the McFarland ring in my rifle, the bolt has always moved in the carrier as though there is'nt any ring at all, and with only 500rds rifle is now short cycling. And I'm Stumped after I've checked all of the regular culprits, gas block, carrier key screws, gas tube pin, gas tube for breaks and wear with the carrier key buffer, buffer tube, and spring for breaks or kinking. My loads for the 175gr Sierra Match King are 95% using H4895. My guess is that it is the McFarland gas ring, does any body make the (tight)3 ring set up for the AR-10??
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by lotoofla.
13 years 10 months ago #4543

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Mcfarland gas rings

Well if it is new...then the Home office should take care of it...
Mine has the same and acts the same with out the short cycle of course...I have over 1K through mine with out a hick-up...so..not sure what to tell you on that one...But I have heard from many that this type of ring is about the best you can get even for the AR-15...but they won't fit the "M-15" because of the proprietary bolt system...but I have no complaints there either...mine is working great....
Again...call the office and talk to them...ask for Tim..
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 10 months ago #4545

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by lotoofla on topic Re:Mcfarland gas rings

While my upper is of low milage, the clock is 3 years old. tom
13 years 10 months ago #4651

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Mcfarland gas rings

Take your rings and reset them. This is taught in the (my) advance class and is a must pass section of the course. The rings are shaped and chamfered to each carrier cylinder and if done right will last as long as the barrel. RockRiver has the slant tip rings for all systems A10 AND A15 that seem to be better for the avg user. I've got some of the new ringless bolts trying them out so we'll see.MSH
13 years 10 months ago #4655

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Mcfarland gas rings

Actually if I remember right, the rings are one continuous ring, I think...have to check on that with armalite...but anyway, well mine is about the same as far as age...if it is a complete factory upper...send it in and let them look at it...as far as the bolt moving in the BCG...well it's not a AR-15, there is alot more weight involved and more torque and recoil and all that...as a armorer you should know all that.....ArmaLite told me directly that, that is the way they are supposed to be...if you want tighter rings...well good luck...glad I won't be shooting it...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 10 months ago #4657

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!