Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Nickle Boron bolt coating

• Thank you received: 1

Nickle Boron bolt coating was created by mini14gb

I have a Failzero Bolt in my AR15 and I love that thing. I was wonderting about doing the bolt on MY 10T carbine that I use for hunting. Has anyone else coated their bolts? If so has it worked out well for you?
11 years 6 months ago #12802

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Nickle Boron bolt coating

Did you buy the AR15 with the bolt already in it, or did you have it done?
Just wondering about the cost of having it done? I've seen some slides coated in Nickel Teflon, it has a little more shine to it. What kind of benefits do you see with the coated bolt vs non-coated?
AKAI
11 years 6 months ago #12899

Replied by mini14gb on topic Nickle Boron bolt coating

Akai,
I bought a nickle boron BCG from Failzero as a drop in replacement. The biggest benefit is my bolt can be operated completely dry. No lube what so ever and no failures from dust sticking to a lubed bolt during ATV rides down gravel roads. I've had that bolt for a couple years now and its been flawless. Also there is a side benefit of much easier cleaning. Failzero will not coat AR-15 bolts as a mail in service because they sell there own but they will do AR-10 bolts.
11 years 6 months ago #12900

Price what's it cost? Thinking that my AK's may also benefit from the coating. I'm sure most of the coatings available have been tried, like Hard Chrome, Nickel, ect. just what's the best! In the shop I used a Gold Nitrite coating on some high wear parts beautiful and worked great, got me thinking now! If the price is reasonable sounds like a winner, if you already have had a good experience with it. Only a couple of things I could think of to worry about, might be the coating thickness on a factory part and warranty.
AKAI
11 years 6 months ago #12901

www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-an...ing-kit-1-5-gal.html

I'm going to look more into this, may be a do it yourself project, or for me an extension of my business :twothumbs:
AKAI
11 years 6 months ago #12902

Replied by mini14gb on topic Nickle Boron bolt coating

The cost $150.00 plus shipping. Their coating Is top notch and flawless In appearence.
11 years 6 months ago #12906

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Nickle Boron bolt coating

That's a good find there Akai.
Got me thinking If I have enough that could use plating to justify the cost. Because I know if I get a kit I'll be looking for stuff to use it on.
"dude, you got a new cat"? nope, just nickle plated my old one.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 6 months ago #12908

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Nickle Boron bolt coating

I would do a little more research before I sent a bolt in for this coating. Remember the bolt already has a coating - parkerization. Putting another surfectant on top of the park'ing may change the bolt's dimensions enough to affect the way the bolt locks into the chamber and also effect it's movement within the bolt carrier. Depending on how many rounds you've put through the bore, you might be looking at some headspace issues, too.
RLTW
11 years 6 months ago #12913

Just a little more info!

The bolt or whatever part would have to be stripped of the old coating, either by
acid or blasting, polshing ect. The max amount of coating depends on soak time in the coating
solution, .0002/20min soak time. Another .0002 for the Nickel plate for a good finish if you
need to do it? that would be a Total of .0004 Tenths coating per side, .0008 on the diameter.
Always a good idea to check the headspace after doing any modifications. So, for the $150.00
seems a little high to me, question is do you want to spend that kind of $ on the bolt?
The kit runs around $230.00 and would be good for other projects! But is time consuming.
As I have a couple of projects, I think I'm going to give it a try on some parts.
Will post more as time allows. Oh,almost forgot the RW hardness of the coating runs
56-60 on C scale.
AKAI
11 years 6 months ago #12915

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!