Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Range report: fresh out of the box!

• Thank you received: 547

Range report: fresh out of the box! was created by Siscowet

Took the AR10 to the range for the first time today. Expected a little work to dial it in since I hadn't had it boresighted. So I brought some poster paper and put that up behind the target in case the sights were way off. Wanted to have it an inch high at 100 meters since according to the Nikon data, that should zero me at 200 yards, which was unavailable today. In a nutshell, I did a 2 shot group which are the lowest on the target on the attached picture.
Next with some adjustment was a five shot group which is the next string up.
The next string of 5 was the top five holes in the picture. I have never had the initial sighting of a rifle so easy. My son and a friend then proceeded to print a bunch of 2 inch groups for the next half hour. We were using Lake City M118 LR 175gr BTHP. When the 200 yard range became available my son tried a five shot group and found that it was shooting 12 inches high! Apparently the Nikon Spot on data was a bit off. Rifle shot great! No FTF'S or FTE. It is as least as accurate as my Pre-ban Colt HBAR AR15 NM, And when I get used to it, probably a lot better. Just a great rifle. I am a happy camper.

Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by mlotziii. Reason: embedded image
11 years 5 months ago #13589

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

Outstanding news Sisco. Nothing like hearing about a great day at the range with a rifle we all love and enjoy.

Congrats.

Now comes all the money it's gonna cost you changing everything around so it looks cool... :evil:
11 years 5 months ago #13590

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

I'm beaming my envy at you because I didn't get to go shoot this weekend. My old bronco needed some serious TLC.

Anyway, that is really good for first time out. A 100yd zero should have had you around 1.5 moa high at 200. so I agree, something odd happening here.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 5 months ago #13593

Replied by Siscowet on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

Next time out I am qoing to zero it at the 200 meter range than backtrack to the 100 meter. See what the change in zero is. We were shooting at an angle at the 200 meter range. There are some private 500 meter ranges around here, but 300 is max for open to the public. And most of them will be full of snow in another week. I am going to take my time and get to know this rifles profile inside and out.
11 years 5 months ago #13597

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

It's not that Nikon's data was off, it's the ammo that you're using. Your scope's reticle and turrets are dialed in for the trajectory of a 168 gr OTM (HPBT) bullet. The 175 gr M118LR has a slightly different trajectory.

Your scope is still usable, you just have build up a good data book on how it acts with various ammo weights and types. I would round up a box of 168 gr FGMM or Privi Partisan and see how close it is ballistically to your scope, just to establish a baseline of performance.

Here's a link to Nikon's website:

www.nikonhunting.com/page/reticles/29

And congrats on the new stick!
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, jtallen83, Siscowet
11 years 5 months ago #13601

Thanks I kinda suspected something along that line, although I input 175 grain HPBT in the Nikon Spot on software. Where I live most our hunting shots are within 70 yards, so getting into distance shooting is new to me. We have some experienced types up here that I am going to lean on during my learning curve.
11 years 5 months ago #13602

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

I grew up hunting in the hollers and thickets of the Blue Ridge Mountains, so I definitely know where you're coming from. But if you've got sound fundamentals, it'll be an easy transition.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
11 years 5 months ago #13604

Only thing I am planning is a free float handguard. Already have a bipod, which I used today instead of sandbags. That Nikon Monarch scope was a good investment. Rather save the money for more ammo.
11 years 5 months ago #13611

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Range report: fresh out of the box!

I can certainly relate. Glad you are enjoying the new tool.
11 years 5 months ago #13616

LebbenB Have you had some experience with Privilege Partizan? What is your opinion? I am thinking of trying some. Economically it is getting to be one of the only games in town, And I want to save my M118 LR for times I want to use really good stuff because of the price.
Also I am thinking of bucking up and getting the custom turrets from Nikon for specific loads what do you think?
11 years 5 months ago #13620

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!