Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scope options, recomendations

• Thank you received: 0

Scope options, recomendations was created by mail

Hi All,

Just picked up an AR-10 from DPMS, it's the "Oracle" version: flat top, forward assist, dust cover. Picatinny rail on the receiver and just forward of handguard (www.dpmsinc.com/308-ORACLE_ep_99-1.html)

I'd like to have the option of both long range and short range sighting.

I've got a Leupold VX-II 3-9x 40mm that I think would be good for long range shooting (200-500 yards). Who makes a good mount for this flat top that returns reliably to zero, and maybe raises up the scope a bit from that flat top rail.

Then comes the subject of a short range sight, probably a red dot, maybe a Meprolight? Not sure about the Meprolight, comments welcome!

Finally, is there a good mount for a dot or short range sight that returns to zero?

And and all comments appreciated!!!
9 years 8 months ago #41194

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scope options, recomendations

I'm real happy with my Bushnell Elite 1-6.5x, see pictures and a review here;

www.ar10t.com/forums/rifle-scopes/14563-...-6-5x24-scope-review

They also make it in 1-8x.

I'm using a Primary Arms extended mount for it. Are you wanting a quick release mount or just a standard mount?
For a quick release I'd have to say LaRue or American Defense, they both get rave reviews.

There are many many choices for both the mounts and optics, take your time and research a lot,
you can find lots of info right here :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 8 months ago #41195

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Scope options, recomendations

I would stick with the Leopold, that is an excellent optic. Two choices on BUSYou can get a scope mount that lets you mount a red dot on a picatinny rail above the scope, or get a set of 45 degree offset iron sights for close up work. Go to a LGS and try both. For a quick detach mount, the LaRue gets outstanding reviews.
9 years 8 months ago #41205

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic Scope options, recomendations

Ditto on the Leupold. I have a GG&G scope ring that comes with a platform for attaching a small red dot such as the Burris Fastfire III or Doctor. Currently, it sits above the scope but the angle can be changed by loosening the screws and rotating it. It fits the bill for 100 yards and closer leaving the scope for distance work. A win win set up.

9 years 8 months ago #41208

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Scope options, recomendations

I am not sure there is a really good solution to both close in <50 yds and long range >300 yds. You can find some good close - medium range scopes in the 1.5 - 6.5 x range, but add in the long requirement and its a challenge to find the quality needed.
9 years 8 months ago #41212

I honestly don't know how it is going to work out, but I just ordered one of these at a closeout price.

This is a discontinued first generation Burris Eliminator 4 x 12 Laser range finding scope with a slaved ballistic computer. It has been superseded by the Eliminator 3 which is much more capable and much more expensive.
Once I get it mounted and programmed, I will wring it out and do a review.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 10before15
9 years 8 months ago #41223

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic Scope options, recomendations

Nonetheless, pretty cool to see the distance instead of guessing...or having to whip out a hand-held range finder.
9 years 8 months ago #41225

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scope options, recomendations

I'm curious as to what makes the Gen III worth so much more, saw it for around $1200 on one site. :huh: I haven't heard much for negatives on the Gen I yet..........
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai
9 years 8 months ago #41230

Gen 1 the rangefinder' automatic aiming point system only works on Max 12x magnification. It goes out to 500 yards on animals, 800 yards on a reflective surface like a target. Gen 3 works on all magnifications, goes out to 1200 yards range, and has a reticle with MOA dots for windage compensation, and sharper optics. The Gen 1 was first $1100, than $1000, and I got it for $504. Biggest negative is the size, second no windage compensation. The Gen 3 is even heavier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 8 months ago #41232

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Scope options, recomendations

Whatever scope you use if you want a quick detach mount, you can't beat Larue mounts.
I have them on 4 guns, and they are reliable for returning to zero
9 years 7 months ago #41384

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!