Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Ammo to Avoid

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

What do mean by "shot fine?" Do you mean they fed OK, went bang, and ejected OK - or - do you mean they grouped at MOA or less?

I also broke in my AR-10T using this ammo and it functioned OK, but grouped horribly, in excess of 5 inches at 100 yards. I'd never trust this ammo for hunting past 100 yards in my AR-10T, since the groups were just too large to shoot further than 100 yards and risk wounding a deer. My reloads shoot less than 1/2 MOA consistently. If you're only interested in hearing your rifle go bang and see dirt fly up, then I guess they're fine IMHO.

Jer
11 years 8 months ago #12012

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by dreamAR10 on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

Like I said Jeff it went fine, shooting 9 shots cleaning it after each shot groups were not that important, All shots were standing holding the rifle out front without a bench but I would say the MOA was 4 inches or less, 24 of 30 were is easily in a 4 inch group.

I will be sighting it in this week with a bipod using some 150 Federal and one box of 180 grain Winchester
11 years 8 months ago #12021

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Freenative on topic Ammo to Avoid

My non-armalite clone feeds and shoots everything I've put in it except some Brazillian CBC ball M80 ammo. It shoots winchester 7.62 147 grain at about 1.5 MOA and federal premium match (168 grain) sub MOA. The Brazillian stuff jams, fails to eject, or ejects and doesn't feed the next round.
8 years 11 months ago #44991

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Darkhorse_Tactical on topic Ammo to Avoid

I have a DPMS config Mega Maten with a 14.5" barrel and have recently been using the Federal MK319 7.62x51 without a single problem. The other stuff I had been using was the Prvi Partisan 145 grain .308 Winchester, also without one single problem after many many rounds fired. I highly recommend it as a reliable, fairly accurate, moderate expense (~$0.65/round) round with good brass. Comes in the thick plastic battle packs so also great for storage. I'm gonna say this might be the best all round ar-10 ammo all things considered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Darkhorse_Tactical.
8 years 10 months ago #45033

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Ammo to Avoid

This seems the case with ArmaLite weapons, hope it stays that way. There is a reason behind this:

Each component in a system, be it a computer, gun or pizza oven. Each component has a tolerance or set of parameters it has to be built to: 00.0(00000) +/-. What sometimes happens is to many components end up on the + or - side of the equation and the total exceeds the operating parameters of the system.

Systems (guns) built to overall tighter tolerances and are well balanced in the operating parameters in each component end up with the ability to shoot anything.

Guns that have issues I have found them to be what I refer to as 'kit' guns. These are often sold and marketed like this.

Zeke, who owns Zeke's Wrecker service and Chinese take out, but has extra garage space, since his brother, Marcell died when he wrecked the wrecker has just found out his cuz has a daughter who is married to a ___________ (SEAL, Ranger, Delta Force, RECON -Sniper) soldier who is getting out of the military. He goes to him and says lets u an me join up and sell AR's to the rubes.

They clear out some space between the BBQ pit and chicken fryer to assemble AR's make from ALL the latest and greatest components they have read about in Guns R Us and now its InDorsed by Ziggy Belcher former Navy SEAL and Sniper...They go to the SHOT and NRA shows, sell a bunch of guns to and lot of folks who don't buy ArmaLites and a few other for real manufacturers of guns.

Hope you got a good laugh out of that, but its a true story (ok not sure about the cuz daughter being married to a SEAL or the Chinese take out and chicken fryer, but the rest is true). The company is no longer around, but the wrecker service is!!!!

There is a hot gun out there now, I will not mention their name, (but big splash at the SHOT/NRA and lots of mag coverage) as a GOOD friend just became a dealer for them...they were WOW'd by the Navy SEAL and "all those high end components". My friend is a good hunter and shot, but outside of that knows very LITTLE about guns. I met with one of the principals of the company and leaned forward after some chit chat to break the ice and gain trust, I whispered: "how many and or which components do you actually manufacturer IN HOUSE?" With some hesitation and shuffling while looking at his feet he said NONE, we buy only the best components and assemble them ourselves...but we do specify some of our components." I asked which ones and he said the logo on the lower the Cerakote paint schemes...
8 years 10 months ago #45042

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Darkhorse_Tactical on topic Ammo to Avoid

Rainier Arms makes a match barrel for DPMS config chambered in .308 win but also designed to handle 7.62 NATO equally well. I haven't tried larger grain 7.62 but this might be the best solution for those who prefer DPMS.
8 years 10 months ago #45050

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Freenative on topic Ammo to Avoid

I think you nailed it cowboy although I am happy with the weapon, it was put together by some boys who gathered up good components but don't manufacture any of their own parts. I was a newbie to black rifles, didn't ever see the need for one until hogs started getting away because I couldn't work the bolt on my 300WSM fast enough. I needed a semi auto big enough to knock over hogs asap and didn't have time to do the homework on what I was buying. With all that said, I love the platform and I will stick to the ammo that goes bang consistantly. Federal Premium Match 168 grain hollow points fall less than an inch apart at 100 yards with a 16 inch barrel. That's better than I can hold sitting out in the swamp at night with mosquito's chewing on my ears.
8 years 10 months ago #45102

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!