Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

MDT TAC 21 Build

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

Ok, lots to update! Got the Vortex Viper on as you already know. Since then I have also installed Voretex's bubble level, which is oh so nice to have. Got the riffle zeroed at 100 yards and have stated filling in my data book. I have not been able to buy a reloader yet, though I definitely need one. Still using factory rounds, but I'm having great success with them.

First group I fired using 180g Remington acu tips

Same ammo next day, keep in mind that this is hunting ammunition and a factory barrel.

After I established a good zero, I decided to extend the range to the max I could get on my property, which is 320 yards. Don't have a place to get steel shooting targets around here so I decided to try out a 4"x12"x1/4" tractor blade. I gotta say it works very well! Nice solid ring from it. I adjusted my scope to what I had estimated using a ballistics calculator and took 2 shots to get on target. Once I was on I didn't miss for the rest of the session. I really wasn't trying to get tight groups as I was just out to have some fun. Don't think this QUICK 4 round group was that bad really for not taking my time.

Anyway, that's all good and fun, but I'm ready for the real test... 1000 + yards.

Shooting here this weekend! Beautiful location. Arrow is where the target will be placed. I don't know how well hunting rounds will do at this range (almost exactly 1000 yards, 1010 to be exact), but I will still give it a try. I'm waiting on getting the barrel until winter, that way the rifle can be in the shop when it's too cold to shoot. Overall I'm still enjoying the rifle. Everything is holding up nice. Can't wait to get it out to stretch its legs this weekend. Will post a video!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by That_Guy.
9 years 6 months ago #42146

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

-
9 years 6 months ago #42147

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

:thumbs: TG nice shooting! Glad it is everything you hoped it would be.

Wish I had room for a 320 yard range.
The following user(s) said Thank You: That_Guy
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 6 months ago #42166

Didn't get to 1000 yards like I wanted today. However I did get to shoot at 500 yards. Got a first round hit, but honestly that's not that impressive. The target was on this massive steep hill which we walked up with the target and stand... took forever to get up there. And the first shot knocked it down I really need my new barrel installed. After one shot, the barrel would get really warm and throw everything off whack.

Here is the target view. We were shooting from the circled area.

And here is my new Eberlestock Lodrag pack. Freakin' love it. It makes it so nice having everything right there in one pack.

And here is the video of the first round hit. Battery died when we were setting up the target again... but it's alright as the only thing on the video after that was me cursing. I'm still using Remington Acu-tips.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 5 months ago #42337

This message has attachments images.

Got the barrel in! Brux Heavy Varmint 1:10 Stainless. Taking it to the smith in 2 weeks. The Tac 21 is finally finished after 7 months. Now I get to start my LSS build. I'm leaning towards .308 so I can use the same dies as the Win Mag for reloading. Going with the flat dark earth model. Gonna add a folding stock adapter and use the Magpul CTR stock. As for optics, might go with a Vortex 4-16x50mm. Might throw a new barrel on it as well and maybe even a Thunderbeast, but I don't know yet. The Tac 21 was a very expensive build. So I might not throw a lot of cash at the LSS.... we will see.

9 years 5 months ago #42608

This message has an attachment image.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic MDT TAC 21 Build

A big sucker, with that on, what will your rig weigh in at?
9 years 5 months ago #42632

Just over 20lbs... she's a big girl haha. Carrying it sucks, but it has so little recoil I can spot my own shots and see bullet trace in good conditions. I guess it's a decent trade off as I don't always have access to a spotter.
9 years 5 months ago #42635

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!