Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Stargazer on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Thank you, Siscowet - solid info post. I am reading like a fiend but did not low there was a divide between AR10 and DPMS versions. I have noticed DPMS appears in many of the parts descriptions, maybe more so than AR10.

About the only decisions I have made so far are -

Short range, unlikely to use at more than 100yds so a short, high twist barrel
Clean look, likely flat top, don't need to bolt on every last possible appendage available, ability to add a bipod later.
The stock, well that will need to be able to extend and collapse, even a raisable cheek rest as this rifle will be shot by myself and sons + other youth at the local marksmanship class.
Sights- maybe a small scope but more likely iron sights
Preferably not 'scary black rifle' finish. Paint options?

Assembly, I would like to do the maximum possible and buy as few pre-assembled parts as is reasonable. This will be a learning father/son exercise as much as anything else.

No particular hurry or time frame. Might be a nice winter time project to have ready to shoot in the spring.

I will not spend like crazy, but then I am not afraid to spend where it will count the most, such as barrel and trigger group quality.

I have noticed many publications on building AR15's but none on the .308/AR10 would a basic book on the AR15 help?

When buying parts do they all have to go through a FFL dealer locally, or can I buy direct if they are not complete assemblies?
9 years 7 months ago #41896

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

A book on AR-15's will give you the basics but there are differences. If you go the AR-10 route ArmaLite has a wealth of info in the tech notes section of the library on their web site.
Only the lower receiver has to go the FFL route.
If you want to skip the FFL all together you can buy an 80% lower and finish it yourself.

aresarmor.com/store/Category/hmgar15
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 7 months ago #41904

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Stargazer,
The only FFL item you need is the lower receiver. Everything else can be bought direct online or locally and delivered to your door.
9 years 7 months ago #41905

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Unless its a 80% lower :usa:
AKAI
9 years 7 months ago #41909

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

Star gazer, I sent you a private message with some sources.
9 years 7 months ago #41912

Replied, thank you!
9 years 7 months ago #41913

So I have been reading, lots. Seems that AR10 is trademarked property of Armalite but I am sure I am the only one here who did not know that. 308AR rifles are not mil spec so that explains why so many parts will not be interchangeable. I know - more stuff you already knew!

Armalite appears to offer a Gunsmith kit, upper and lower parts with which to build the core of the rifle then add on what you want, barrel, trigger upgrade, stock and sights etc. Would that be a good way to begin this journey? At least it will all fit and work together.
9 years 7 months ago #41933

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bolt Action guy wants in on the AR scene

The kit is a bit pricey but would insure you get compatible parts, if you can find one. The new Defensive Sporting Rifle 10 is $999 MSRP,
www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Categor...58-8022-95f6afe8e6cf
,odds are you could find one cheaper. Take off the barrel, sell it and your in the ballpark of the gunsmith kit.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 7 months ago #41939

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!