Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Welcome! Please take a minute to introduce yourself.

High ten, everyone!

• Thank you received: 23

High ten, everyone! was created by funfred

So, I've always wanted an AR10, since before they were available. Ended up with a Colt 6601 and then some...

A recent discussion on another forum had me lookin' at .308 semi-s and, while I briefly considered an RRA over the usual suspects, I was reminded of my interest in the AR10. That's how I ended up here.

My first scan of your forum led me to optics, which led me to this link...precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/01/tactic...rifle-scope-line-up/
Bravo Zulu on the author!

Anyway, I don't have an AR10 but the outlook is good. Hopefully, you guys can show me which threads have your best insights and experiences.
9 years 5 months ago #42659

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic High ten, everyone!

:welcome: I still haven't picked out my scope..........information overload!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 5 months ago #42661

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic High ten, everyone!

Welcome Fred- Glad to hear your thinking about a AR10, in the current market deals abound. You will have a harder time paring down the candidates than finding a good deal. Its intended purpose will drive your selection more than anything. From there its simply what can you afford. If you can give us a idea of its use we will no doubt give you food for thought. Welcome aboard.
9 years 5 months ago #42662

Replied by funfred on topic High ten, everyone!

Ain't that the truth.

I'm looking for the do-it-all unicorn of long arms. My search brought me back to ArmaLite in the form of a long SASS. I'd likely follow up with a carbine conversion by utilizing the SASS carbine upper and collapsible buttstock.

At any rate, having handled the Colt, Rem, RRA, Ruger and Sig versions of the AR10, I was pretty sure they would all need upgrades with the possible exception of the RRA which has numerous build options. I'm not into building firearms, I want it out-of-the-box to my expectations. This negates buying the afore mentioned products(excepting the RRA) and throws me into a higher price bracket.
Yeah, now we have POF, Larue, LMT...it's too much for my brain.

Enter Armalite's SASS series and it seems like most of my thinkin's been done. Would still have to glass it, tho'.

Thanks for the Welcomes.
9 years 5 months ago #42665

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

Welcome, and good luck with your purchase. From the sounds of it either an RRA or an Armalite would fill the bill. One thing: a SASS is heavy. How much are you going to carry it?
9 years 5 months ago #42674

Replied by funfred on topic High ten, everyone!

Not a lot, if at all, but I'm thinkin' of gettin' a biathlon type sling should the need arise.
I'm in PA, we can't hunt with semi-rifles. I do have a m1907 sling, mainly for marksmanship, it suffices for short hauls.

Spent most of the last two days narrowing down the field and locating a retailer. As I'm sure you're well aware, choosing a gun system is just the beginning of purchase mode.

So far...
- the SASS(A10SBF), but an RRA isn't out of the question.
- a Steiner(M5Xi 3-15X50mm G2). I spent a lot of time considering glass.
- either EuroOptics or Spuhr mount. They both have built in level indicators but the Spuhr readily accepts a Docter red dot - (they're the cat's meow).
- an Atlas
- YHM QD
- buncha various capacity P-mags.

I have the fortune of living down the road from EuroOptics but I've never visited. There's also half-a-dozen gun shops within throwing distance of them, one of which pushes the RRAs and medium-long shooting.

Euro's prices are in line with the other retailers I've seen, but I won't have to pay shipping...and it'll be hands-on before the purchase, that's a bonus for me. I can only imagine more of a deal being possible with a package purchase. They don't carry Magpul on their site, or suppressors, but damn if their inventory isn't top shelf all the way. It's possible I could end up with something completely different...NAH! :D

As far as $$$, I've spent a bit on my early-mid '90s Rem 700 VS and a ton on my pre-ban HBAR. They were a compromise for what I really wanted. I figure I can recoup more than a few grand from 'em what-with all the accs, ammo and once-fired cases of quality brass. So, kinda consolidating two-into-one with the AR10.

A very short note on weight...I have an M82A1M.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by funfred.
9 years 5 months ago #42677

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic High ten, everyone!

If you are used to lugging the Barrett, never mind about the weight comment. The RRA or the SASS? Man, that is a tough chouce. You are right on the money about optics.
9 years 5 months ago #42678

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic 1st or 2nd Focal Plane Scopes

Something you should seriously consider in optics is whether it's a 1st focal plane scope or second focal plane scope. My opinion is if it's a multiple reticle scope it should be a 1st focal plane scope. If it does NOT have multiple range reticles, then 2nd focal planes are OK. Reason is the multiple reticles are supposed to make hold over quicker than cranking in turret settings for various long ranges past about 300 yards/meters. The range of each of the reticles will change in value in a 2nd focal plane scope depending on the zoom magnification being used, however, the ranges of each reticle won't change in a 1st focal plane scope when zoomed. So, if your 2nd focal plane scope manual says the multiple reticle range is only accurate at 10 power or 14 power, etc. and you decide to use another power setting, each reticle range will not be correct at 200, 300, 400, etc. ranges which are typical for multiple reticle scopes. Yes, you can calculate what the new values at each zoom power is, but that defeats what the multiple reticle purpose is = quickness. If you're going to take the time to calculate, you might as well use a single reticle scope and twist the turrets. JMHO

Also, I've noticed reading a lot of various websites that most guys who purchased the 24 inch barrel AR-10s changed to 20" or shorter. If you're not going to hunt with it then I assume you're just going to bench rest shoot, so barrel length may not be important for your maneuverability.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by JustMe.
9 years 5 months ago #42680

Replied by funfred on topic 1st or 2nd Focal Plane Scopes

I'm goin' with a 20" barrel as that's the longest I saw on ArmaLite's site.

The Steiner has a 1st focal plane, illuminated, MilDot reticle. It's not the reticle I prefer but it's uncluttered and a known constant. A custom reticle isn't an option at this time and the reticles offered on similarly featured/priced scopes were even less desirable to my eye. When I found a reticle I liked, I didn't like the scope...and vice versa. :banghead:

Both the barrel length and scope power(arguably) are compromises for long distance paper killin' but I'm limited by space to about 650yds. The longest local range for unhindered, 24/7, dedicated practice is 300yds, hence the suppressor and illuminated reticle. Yes, I said 24/7.
Conversely, the barrel and scope are overkill for short work but nothin' beats horsepower to make a job easier.
I feel these choices will accurately reflect my real world usage but, hey, that's why I came here...to see where I might be puttin' a foot wrong. Unlike me, some of you guys know what you're talking about. B)

If I were considering serious long distance shooting, I'd have started with a larger caliber - after reconciling the fact I'd have to drive 1.5 hours to a dedicated 1000yd range. At that rate, I'd still want a short-medium range heavy hitter.
"But," you might say, "you have a fiddy!"
Yeah, and a good bullet is $7-$8 to win the 1000yd prize. Consequently, the fiddy is relegated to a diet of bullets at half that cost, but the shoulder time fun factor is out of this world. The reality is, in my hands it will never connect with a target at its max.effective range. It was a panic purchase(On sale!) when Odumbo was about to get his first inauguration.

Since I'm still in the Welcome house, I thought I'd let on about the other firearms I've had/have. I'm the original owner of all but one, it was made before I was born. So, chronologically...

- Burnside Carbine Model 1864, .54cal. This was handed down to me.
- Marlin .22 bolt, sold.
- *Colt 1991A1, original parkerized. Uncle Mike's finger-groove grips. Buncha carry rigs and Colt mags. Mild rail/trigger massage.
- *Colt HBAR, pre-ban. Trij ACOG and Trij branded 3.5moa Docter Red Dot. Tons of Colt mags, 3 unused Pmags. Mild trigger massage.
- *Rem 700 VS heavy barrel .308, Redfield LE-9 (3-9x50), Bell&Carlson synth.stock - free float, Versa-Pod, Turner M1907 sling, adjusted trigger.
- Rem 870 Marine Magnum, sold.
- H&K P7, 3 mags, DeSanti shoulder rig.
- Ruger 77/17, stainless, laminated, Leupold VX-3 (3.5-10x40), 3 mags.
- ˆRem 870 Marine Magnum, B-square rail mount, Trij branded 7.5moa Docter Red Dot, SpeedFeed III pistol grip stock. I like this one. It's my HD and, oddly enough, even tho' it has an 18" barrel, the Red Dot makes it a killer shootin' clays.
- Barrett M82A1M, Leupold Mark 4 LR/T (4.5-14x50), 3 mags.
- Kimber Rimfire Target, 3 mags.
- Beretta A400 Xcel, 30", 12g.
- Ruger 22/45 Lite, Black Anodize, Black Molded Rubber grips, 3 mags.

* These guns have digested countless thousands of rounds and still going strong.
ˆ Yeah, I bought this one twice, about ten years apart. Gonna put a bayonet, er, breaching choke on it next. ;)

I guess a mention of things to serve as relative "who-am-I" qualifiers might be in order. Nothing spectacular but I was an NRA 6th Bar Sharpshooter at the age of 11. That was 50' small bore but make no mistake about the difficulty, a pinhole-sized dot is the 10x. I never thought about it before but that's prolly about 1/8moa. You gotta get a lot of 'em.

I'm also a Navy Veteran, JAN/83-JAN/88. During that time, the USMC trained me(and a hundred or so other squids) in the use of the FIM-92 Stinger(Distinguished Honor Grad, I killed everything 100%, including the academics). This was for an 18 month<ahem> TAD/TDY assignment, JUL/84-MAR/86<ahem>, in the Middle East which earned me a kaleidoscope of colors to wear on my jumper and one hell of an attitude. Go Navy!

Anyway, to get back to the gist of my original post, I know you guys have a ton of collective experience with this weapon system. Are there particular threads here that exemplify any profundities, epiphanies or plain old awe-inspiring moments with the AR10 platform?

As confident about all this as I may sound, I'm still looking for that something that's gonna say, "Yeah, you did right."
I guess I could just wait and see but it's startin' to kill me...kid-in-a-candy-store, Santa's coming, the tooth fairy showed up, mama's got new bazoongas... :woohoo:
9 years 5 months ago #42682

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic High ten, everyone!

Fred the epiphany came for me when I realized that AR-10's require a slightly different technique than bolt guns. they also seem to be less forgiving than bolt guns. I have posted a lot of my techniques that I use and talked about some of the things I do to train for competitions. You seem to need more trigger time with a semi-auto and the skills drop off rapidly. But the reward is being able to lay down some startling times when shooting certain precision rifle courses of fire where are engaging multiple targets at similar distances. Sometimes when everything lines up right you get rocking on targets I a way that no other firearm is going to touch. Engaging targets so rapidly with holdovers that people just stop and take note ( you know they are thinking if I ever went to war that's the rifle I'm taking).
9 years 5 months ago #42685

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!