Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's

• Thank you received: 0

Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's was created by Marlatt9

I've been reloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder and Sierra's 175 SMK's I've reloaded from 40 grains every half grain to 43.5 grains. It seemed that 41.6 and 43 grains were pretty close. 42 to less than 43 grains had poorer results. I believe that part of my problem is the progressive lenses-glasses that I've got and after all the time and work am not sure what the best results should have been, due to believed inconsistencies with getting behind the scope the same place each time.

I use Winchester brass, Winchester large rifle primers and COL of 2.80.

Has anyone else used this combination and had any success?
11 years 9 months ago #11900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pacific keeper on topic Re: Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's

I had better luck with Varget . Huge post on this on snipers hide or google reloading 175 smk's .
11 years 9 months ago #11903

Replied by Tigerdan on topic Re: Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's

Yes Ive found 41.5 of 4064 IMR with a168 bthp sierra has given me great results out of my ar10t. It doesn't seem to care for varget that well. So i guess it just depends on the rife. I tried some Hog CFE last week 46.6gr shot a very nice group 3 touching 2 alil off but that could have been me I was alil hung over not going to lie. lol
11 years 9 months ago #11914

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MountainRN on topic Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's

I recently read an article in Hodgdon's 2014 annual Manual on Reloading (note: this is a Hodgdon sponsored magazine). The article: "Reloading The .308 Winchester for ARs" by Lane Pearce was very informative.

As a relatively new "rifle" handloader (3years on my own, but since I was 17 with my uncle- in my 50's now and have been reloading Pistol and shotgun since the 80's), I voraciously read anything I can get my hands on about loading.

Coincidently I came up with a very similar load that Mr. Pearce states he got his best results with. The following is a quote:

"After firing nearly 1,000 rounds of factory ammo and handloads, I've learned a lot. Coincidentally, the last group I fired, comprising 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 behind 168grain Sierra HPBT bullets loaded in Lapua brass, functioned perfectly and put four of five shots into one hole. Of course, I couldn't keep the last round in the first four round cluster."

I found this article after I had loaded up 350 rounds of 168gr JHPBT with 44gr of IMR 4064, using a variety of used range brass -- mostly Winchester and Remington and took them 3 gunning. I had very positive results with this load. I also put this load on a bench at 100 yards and shot a 3 round group at .68 MOA out of my AR-10T with 24" SS barrel, with some other groups at, or about, MOA.

AS for using Military brass, Mr. Pearce recommends a slower burning powder such as IMR 3031 and CFE 223 and he wouldn't push maximum (stay 100-150fps under maximum) velocities to keep the autoloader running correctly.

The article spends a lot of time on Brass preparation and denotes that this is the key to getting continuity in results, which has coincided with my own findings with my limited rifle reloading.

The pictures attached depict some of my loaded cartridges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 3 months ago #34366

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Rloading for AR10 T with IMR 4064 powder/175 SMK's

My go-to load for my AR-10 is Lake City brass, 42.5 grains of IMR-4064 under a 175 grain Sierra MK seated at the standard OAL of 2.80. ( It should be noted that I am shooting out of an 18 inch barrel.) this load is giving me roughly .5 MOA.

In the past, Berger VLDs of the same weight have performed slightly better than their Sierra counterparts in my opinion, but due to shortages I have not been able to run comparisons in this rifle...besides-the performance differences between the two that I have noted in the past do not out weight the price differences.
10 years 2 months ago #34410

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!