Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

reloads causing bolt assembly to hang up in AR10T

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic reloads causing bolt assembly to hang up in AR10T

Hmmmm, I ran into a problem that sounds eerily similar to the one you describe.

When testing new builds I always like to run factory ammo initially to gauge the rifles fit, function, and performance. Just last week I was trying out a new build. I loaded a magazine with 5 reloads then 5 factory loads. This is the way I normally approach things.

The 5 factory rounds fired and ejected without without incident...however....the reloads wouldn't fully chamber and I had to actually remove the upper and tap on the bolt with a brass drift pin in order to remove it...

The load looked great and I could see nothing glaring. I event went as far as dropping them into a Wilson case gauge and all fit flawlessly....

These were older reloads and while they fit in the case gauge I have some newer loads that I'll try.......who knows, maybe these are on the hairy edge of go no-go...
9 years 11 months ago #37640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic reloads causing bolt assembly to hang up in AR10T

Were these reloaded with the "Small Base" die set ????
I think I would pull a coupleof bullets and try a resize on the reloads, see what that does.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightForce
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MrMarty51.
9 years 11 months ago #37650

Replied by NightForce on topic reloads causing bolt assembly to hang up in AR10T

No, these were RCBS standard dies which I've been using for years. I've never had this happen before but I do have more recent reloads which I'll try.

I may pull a few tips and resize again...
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by NightForce.
9 years 11 months ago #37657

When I purchased My M1A1, the guy I was dealing with, a good friend and an professional in the arms industry, asked Me if I would be reloading, why yes, He pulled a set of small base dies from the shelf and said to never use the standard resizing dies for an auto-loading MIL.spec firearm.
I took Him at His word and have NEVER had an issue with any rounds chambering or ejecting.
And so, I set up My bench for reloading.
When I decided to reload for My 30-06 bolt gun, I already had dies for that, but, I also have an M1, I went and bought a set of small base3 dies for that one too.
Never had one issue with it too.
9 years 11 months ago #37659

It looks as if I need to invest in a small base resizing die.....
9 years 11 months ago #37664

Whenever I hear about someone having chambering od eject issues with an auto loading rifle, using reloads, it seems that the issues have always been by using standard dies, or,as in this thread, possibly not fully resizing for some reason or the other.
9 years 11 months ago #37666

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!