Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

What equipment to buy

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic What equipment to buy

That looks like it should get you loading and for a very good price :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 9 months ago #41185

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic What equipment to buy

Looks like you're off to a great start. Of equal importance is actually where you set up all your new equipment. What kind of environment, i.e., a dedicated room, space in the garage, corner of the living room, etc. How about the bench--is it sturdy? Do you have a place to store powders, primers, bullets, brass, books, notes, tools, and stuff you haven't even thought of yet? Give careful thought to the layout of your work bench. I understand you're just getting started but make sure there's room for expansion. Don't crowd your bench--give yourself room to work.

If you don't have a suitable bench then build your own. I did and made it fairly large...36" wide by 5' long. It's almost too small now that I've added a progressive press to the original turret press, as well as a bunch of other gadgets and tools to make better reloads. The gist of all this is to give plenty of fore thought to your new project--how you do, what you do, where you do.

Cleaning dirty brass is a chore, at least for me. I usually de-prime then wash/soak the brass in a solution of Simple Green, lemon juice and water. Rinse well and allow to dry. Quite often the brass comes out looking quite spiffy. If it's rose colored then there's a bit too much lemon juice. It will turn back to normal after tumbling. I then tumble it in a RCBS Turbo something or other...don't remember the model using ground walnut shell. I may give it a second round with ground corn cob for a polished look. Everyone will have their own methods. I like mine.

I like Dillon's case lube for sizing brass. As mentioned in an earlier post, you don't need a lot and too much will gum up your die. I got a large foil baking pan from the grocery store to spray the lube onto the brass...just spray a bit, roll the brass around in the pan to insure good coverage and let it set for a few minutes.

I'm tired and it's late and I've rambled on enough. There's a lot of experience on this forum and I'm willing to bet someone will have the correct answers to your questions. Enjoy your new endeavor! :cheers:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 9 months ago #41186

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic What equipment to buy

Very well said Sisco! :thumbs:
9 years 9 months ago #41190

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by jdizzle3id on topic What equipment to buy

I received my equipment a few weeks ago, finally got a bench built, started to lay things out and mount stuff tonight. There is a lot more setup involved here than I originally thought. Hopefully I'll be able to get some rounds loaded by this weekend to try out. I have about 50ish once fired & tumbled FC brass, 1000 CCI primers, 1lb of IMR 4064, 100 175gr .308 SMK HPBTs and I haven't shot a rifle in almost a month.
9 years 8 months ago #41599

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic What equipment to buy

Looks like a good solid bench. Got the essential ingredients. Take your time and enjoy the experience.
9 years 8 months ago #41610

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic What equipment to buy

:I-agree:
9 years 8 months ago #41614

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!