Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

• Thank you received: 78

Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope was created by That_Guy

Vortex Viper PST SFP 6-24x50mm VS Lion Gears (LG) Sniper SFP 4-16x50mm.

Price-

Vortex: MSRP $850 (I paid $600 at a shop close by)

LG: MSRP $150 ( I paid $90 with 1 day shipping on Amazon)

Features-

Vortex: Side parallax adjustment, illuminated reticle, matching reticle and turrets, zero stop, fine parallax adjustment on eye piece, ranging reticle, 30mm tube, fog proof, shock proof, glass etched reticle, and VIP lifetime warranty.

LG- 3 color illuminated reticle, locking turrets (no zero stop), parallax adjustment (on bell), ranging reticle (mill dots, non matching turrets ), etched glass reticle, shock proof, and fog proof.

Note how you can see the LEDs shining onto the lens with the LG Sniper.

Accessories-

Vortex- 4" sunshade, lens cover (non flip up), lens cloth, and a Vortex pendant.

Note how this cloth is completely bad a** and well made...

LG- 3" sunshade, lens caps (flip up), lens cloth, and scope rings.

Note how this is an afterthought.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by That_Guy.
9 years 3 months ago #43398

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by That_Guy on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Dimensions-

Vortex-

Weight: 23oz/ 1.5 lbs aprox

Length: 15.5"/ 19.5" with sunshade

Tube: 30mm

Eye relief: 4"

Parallax: 50-infinity

Click value: 1/4"

Max adjustment: 65 MOA

LG-

Weight: 23.7oz/ 1.5 lbs aprox

Length: 15 5/8"/ 18 5/8" with sunshade

Tube: 1"

Eye relief: 3"

Parallax: 10-infinity

Click value: 1/4"

Max adjustment: 25 MOA

Lets compare turrets now.

Vortex-

The Vortex turrets are very nice (Borat voice). They have a very positive crisp click that can be felt as good as it can be heard. The subtensions come in handy, and the cutout makes it really easy to see what you're set at. The giant numbers and hash marks are also a huge help in quick range changes. I really love the zero stop even though it could be better (doesn't stop exactly on zero, rather goes past it a couple MOA which is fine with me).

LG- Oh boy, I don't know where to start. My Vortex has spoiled me. The clicks are loud but in a different way. The only way I can describe is that it's more like a very light tapping on glass, where as the Vortex is dang near a heavy "thud". It's not bad, but it's different than what I'm used to. Now, the felt feed back is no where near as good as the Vortex. You can feel it, but again it's a lot less pronounced. Making fast adjustments is harder because of this, as you can't tell as easily how much you have adjusted. The has marks and numbers are a lot smaller and that makes it a little more difficult to read. What I absolutely HATE, is the fact that you can't hardly tell where you're at MOA wise. Where Vortex has a cutout in the center to show you where your at, LG has a small dot that is dang near microscopic (and it's not in the center, but off to the right). I had to take a nail and etch the dot into a line. I will be putting some red paint on the line to help it out some more. No subtension lines, so you have to keep track of how many revolutions you have made. Not a big deal, as you can paint a line for different full revolutions. I've done this in the past and it works out fine. No zero stop, but you have locking turrets. Don't really care for locking turrets, give me a zero stop please.

Reticles-

Vortex: Love the reticle. Matching turrets and reticle is the way to freakin' go, guys. It makes ranging super freaking easy. So easy in fact, that I don't hardly use a range finder. I actually did a ranging test. I compared my LSRF, GPS, and reticle and they were within 1 yard of each other. When illuminated it's not blinding on the max setting.

LG- I don't like the fact that the reticle and turrets don't match... You can still range with it, it will just take a little longer to convert (magnification has to be set to 10x BTW where as the Vortex is max magnification). When illuminated you can see where the LED is shining from, which is a bit annoying. When adjusting the brightness you can't hardly tell a difference in lighting. Lowest setting is super bright, highest setting is super bright. Nice options eh?

Final thoughts-

Vortex: I love this scope. It has become my favorite. The quality of this scope does not match it's price at all. This is the best optic you can buy under $1500 in my honest opinion especially given the warranty.

LG Sniper: You know, it may have some quirks that are a complete pain in the butt, but for what it is I like it. I think it's a great scope for any budget build (excluding magnum calibers). Will it get you to 1000 yards? Probably not, but I'd be willing to bet it would do fine around the 500 yard range. I really love the fact that it comes with rings and flip up caps (even though the rings are pretty much junk). It doesn't have a warranty at all, but hey, it's under $100!

Conclusion-

Do I regret the purchase? No, not really. It has it's uses. Example: Say I have a cheap rifle that I just want to have fun with and plan on shooting a maximum of 400 yards without worrying about how tight my groups are. Would I buy the Vortex and put it on that rifle? No I wouldn't. Would I put the LG scope on my $4000 Win Mag build? Not a snow balls chance in hell. The quality is decent for what it is though. I was surprised I liked this optic. I figured I would just go on and on about how horrible it is. And maybe it wasn't fair to compare it to the Vortex, but I think it did alright considering the mount for my Vortex is more expensive than the LG haha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, MrMarty51, jtallen83, Siscowet, Libertarian623
9 years 3 months ago #43399

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Good write up TG, thanks. Quick question: Are both scops made in China? I have messed arounf with some budget scopes and most of them do what they are supposed to do but are weak on the details, like you found. If your life was on the line, I am guessing the choice would be the Vortex in a heart beat.
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 3 months ago #43400

Vortex is made in the Philippines. The LG is no doubt from China. And you guessed correctly. If my life is on the line, I'd go Vortex 1000%.
9 years 3 months ago #43423

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by mr308 on topic Budget Scope VS Mega Budget Scope

Please don't waste your money on either one of those two scopes.
9 years 3 months ago #43446

Evidence please? Vortex has a very good rep. As far as the budget one you get what you pay for. If you think they are a waste of money, fine. I for one would like to know the reasoning behind your statement. Till then I would seriously consider a Vortex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
9 years 3 months ago #43447

My evidence is personally seeing and hearing of numerous Vortex scopes fail under fire. Unless you're going to buy the Vortex Razor model (which is a completely different animal) you're asking for a headache and will be tied up sending your scope back for warranty work instead of shooting.

Looking at value, yes the Vortex PST has nice features and some extra bells & whistles for the money. It will get you out to the range to casually shoot a few rounds... but these are certainly not the type of scopes to consider using "if your life was on the line".

If you're on a very tight budget the only cheap scope to consider is the SWFA SS. They will stand up to a 7.62 recoil and are well proven under harsh conditions.

You could pick up a used Leupold Mark 4 for the nearly the same price as a new Vortex PST and have yourself a real take-to-war scope with a lifetime warranty with a USA company.

I don't participate too much here on this forum but after reading this thread and that some people are now deciding that a Vortex PST or LG is a scope worthy to trust with their life, I felt compelled to log-in and let you know - that would be a grave mistake.
9 years 3 months ago #43448

Thanks for expanding on your comment. That is how we all learn whether we agree or not. Personally I have Nikon and Burris on my AR10's and 15's. I do know a number of people on this forum have Vortex and have spoke well of them. I will have to do a search and see if I can find more info.
9 years 3 months ago #43449

This is where I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The Vortex has been fantastic and without incident on my .300wm. And I am more than a "casual shooter". The vortex has seen well over 1000 rounds and isn't showing any sign of failure.
9 years 3 months ago #43450

You're welcome. I wouldn't have logged in and replied if I didn't think it was worthwhile and could help someone out.

There are vast choices for optics and it's difficult to make a suggestion to someone without knowing what their planned usage is for the scope.

That model Vortex might work well for some recreational shooting but it's not an "If your life was on the line" scope (which it seems you are looking for?).
9 years 3 months ago #43451

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!