Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

• Thank you received: 0

FN FAL Magazines - what the heck? was created by .308 All the Way

Rock River Arms LAR-8 .308 Standard Operator will only take FN FAL Magazines or that is what I have been told.

One 20 round magazine came brand new with the gun.

I want extra mags but can't seem to find them anywhere.

DSA Arms - tried to place an order with them, but they are on back order and in case anyone is wondering, I just got an e-mail from them with my gun specs and they said their mags will NOT work in my gun due to tolerance issues with the mag well.

I need extra mags - even 10 rounders would work, but I also want 5 rounders for hunting in states that have limits on ammo capacity for mags.

I am going to try RRA and see what they tell me, but I am kind of at a loss right now.
13 years 9 months ago #4591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

What a Country has some in stock:

whatacountry.com/fn-fal308magazine.aspx

Also you can check Gunbroker.com.

I find it hard to believe that DSA's magazines won't work in the LAR-8. They are supposed to be "FAL" magazines, so they should work. I think you may have gotten a reply from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. However, DSA has been having issues with their "home made" FAL magazines. They aren't even working in FAL rifles!

On the bright side, RRA is supposed to be coming out with a polymer FAL magazine sometime soon. They'll be in 10, 20 and 30 round configurations. They should be out in the next month or so.

I've got 2 LAR-8's. One is the 16" mid-length and the other is the Varmint model. Both have been excellent shooters! The Varmint model gives my bolt gun a run for its money, accuracy wise.
13 years 9 months ago #4593

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

So far we haven't had a problem with metric mags but what you said of your sorce is a new one I haven't heard before. Keep us posted on this please.MSH
13 years 9 months ago #4594

They may have fixed the problems, but for a while it was not looking good. You can read through these for some of the issues. There is more out there on this:

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p...=2775176#post2775176

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s...page=50&pagenumber=4
13 years 9 months ago #4596

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Just got off the phone with RRA - they have 20 round magazines in stock, but they are not on the website so you have to call to order them. $30 per item.

They confirmed for me that they will have 10,20, & 30 round polymer mags by around the end of this month - July, but you can't order right now, as they do not have any pricing or item number information yet.

I will just call DSA about the 5 rounders for hunting; I agree with you guys, I am not buying what I was told about mag well tolerance issues. This makes no sense. I will order the polymer ones from RRA when available, and try to get the 5 rounders through DSA - if I can get through to someone who knows what they are talking about.
13 years 9 months ago #4598

Replied by .308 All the Way on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

DSA - just got off the phone with them; they confirmed that the FN FAL mags they have now will not work in my rifle due to sometihng with the mag well and it not being the right fit; I could have the mags converted to work according to them.

Uh - no.

What about the new FAL mags you guys are making now? Oh yeah, those will be made to work in your gun.

I will believe that when I see it Sir. Also, when you post a picture of those brand new mags your company is making - make sure you indicate what guns they will work in and which ones won't - that would save everyone a lot of time.
13 years 9 months ago #4600

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

my best advice is to google it////
Here is one I found...
www.dsarms.com/

also check thermold.com...they make a polymer one for the fn and fal ..
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 9 months ago #4603

What magazines are you asking about? Both metric and inch pattern FAL magazines will work in the LAR-8. I'm confused as to why they say they don't work. If you are ordering the 5 round mags, it could be that they are too short.

I do have 3 of the 30 round conversion/modified Bren magazines from DSA that are a bit tight in my LAR-8's, but they work/function fine.

Their new production magazines, made by DSA, in the USA, should in fact work. However, there have been issues with them. One such issue was that a bunch went out with out the rear notch cut. These won't work in a FAL, let alone a LAR-8.
13 years 9 months ago #4606

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:FN FAL Magazines - what the heck?

Edge is our authority on RRA...good to see you my friend...
I found some at midway but dang...I thought AR-10 mags were pricey

I don't know if these will work, but I am still looking, if you can give me some specifics on exactly what kind of mags you need...I can see what I can find....
Here is the latest.
www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnu...&utm_campaign=272086

BMS

addition......there is all kinds of .308 mags on this site...

www.nextag.com/308-magazines/search-html
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
13 years 9 months ago #4633

Well, I don't think I'm an authority, but I do like the LAR-8....good to see you to BMS.

Anyway, the magazine you linked to at Midway is not a FAL magazine. It's actually for a FNAR, which is a new rifle that's been out for only a couple of years now. FAL magazines have started to go up, but if you pay more than $20, you are paying too much. Gone are the days of $3 magazines......wish those days were back!
13 years 9 months ago #4635

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!