Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Extractor Issues

• Thank you received: 0

Extractor Issues was created by Lee_AZShooter

Okay, so I have a standard AR-10 that I have put at least a couple 1000 rounds of both Wolf 150 grn .308 and Winchester 147 grn (Both FMJ) with no issue. The rifle has shot great. A couple of months ago I made the mistake of putting 25 rounds of Brown Bear through it. When the gun heated up the lacquer on the casings caused the cases not to extract. Cleaned the gun completely and now I cannot get any cases to extract. I even purchased a completely new Bolt Carrier Assembly from Armalite and that will not work.

I took my gun to a gun smith who did a complete cleaning to make sure no residual lacquer remained. Then he took it out to the range and determined that the first mag or two extracts fine until the gun heats up. So when the gun heats up the extraction issues start. I also just don't understand why a new Bolt Carrier Assembly also fails to work.

So I called Armalite today and the person on the other end told me that the manual says that I should be using between 150 and 175 grn with 168 being optimal. This is not a cycling issue as the next round is getting jammed into the casing that is not extracted from the chamber. I think the ammo I'm using is just fine for that.

Yes, I'm going to send it back to Armalite with the original bolt carrier assembly and the new one I purchased. And at this time I'm not complaining about the company.
Want to find out if anyone else has had any similar issue?

I'll let you know what Armalite has to say.
12 years 3 months ago #9691

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Bob Downey on topic Re: Extractor Issues

Sounds crazy but try a spray can of Brake Cleaner in the breach.
That stuff can usually remove lacquer.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 3 months ago #9700

Replied by Deenerman on topic Re: Extractor Issues

Yes......I am.....read my long winded message under "failure to eject" section. I have heard soaking the bolt in a brake/carb type cleaner can work miracles.....I have not tried this yet....I am not officially recommending this solution......it makes sense though.........my gun is with the gun smith. Post what you find out. Thanks
12 years 3 months ago #9701

Replied by Bob Downey on topic Re: Extractor Issues

:silly: I didn't mean to imply that you were crazy!:laugh:
Its just that most folks wouldn't try using something as harsh as brake cleaner on their firearms.
Beware though, Brake cleaner can make plastic and rubber dissolve quick.
Might want to remove any such items as furniture first.
Learn to do things for yourself. Its good for you and makes you a better American!
12 years 3 months ago #9702

Replied by Lee_AZShooter on topic Re: Extractor Issues

At this point I am confident that all the lacquer is gone. I do not think that is an issue any more. Also, I agree that the brake cleaner will not be good for the rubber components of the Bolt Carrier Assembly. I will be in Friday afternoon to pick up my rifle from the gunsmith and talk with him about his findings.

What he is telling me on the phone is that the extractor itself is really inadequate and not doing the job. He used a bolt from JP Enterprises which he said worked flawlessly. He indicated that the JP bolt had an extractor that had more "lip" for lack of a better word, to grab the rim of the casing.

No, he is not trying to sell me something I don't need. They don't carry the JP line and even JP has just about everything on back order. FYI.

I know I should ship this thing along with both bolts back to Armalite but I just don't want to have it gone for 4 to 8 weeks and then, even if they "fix" the problem. I don't know if I will feel confident in this thing anymore. I just don't understand why a brand new bolt carrier assembly would not work. Just venting. Again, will let you know what I decide to do with this thing.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Lee_AZShooter.
12 years 3 months ago #9710

Update: got the rifle off via ups to armalite. Will update when I hear from them as to my issues. Lee
12 years 3 months ago #9891

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Extractor Issues

I'm guessing here, maybe a head space issue! I'm having a similar issue on my Remington 740 in 06, but the extractor is ripping off the rim, never had this problem before on any rifle, and no difference on what ammo I shoot the rifle is clean and lubed. Not sure where to go from here might have to get her a ream job and head spaced checked!
AKAI
12 years 3 months ago #9896

I appriciate the input. It's in the hands of Armalite at this point.
12 years 3 months ago #9908

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Extractor Issues

Allot of other issues also fall into play I'm hearing a chromed or nonchromed barell? fouling plays hell on these rifles.
AKAI
12 years 3 months ago #9910

Okay, so here is the update with my extraction issues. First, Armalite got the gun back on Thursday January 19th. I called Friday morning to see how long before they could look at my gun. I expected them to say at least a couple of weeks, however, the person I spoke to told me that it would be either that day or the following Monday, EXCELLENT. Today is Tuesday morning (January 23rd) and I just got off the phone with Mario in service. Here is what he told me the gunsmith came to the conclusion about my AR-10.

First, there was a good deal of copper build up. Apparently the gunsmith spent two hours just cleaning my barrel and removing all the copper. Mario asked what I use to clean with and I told him Hoppe's 9. He told me that that is good for powder but does not remove the copper and recommended Pro Shot to clean with in the future. He also said that whatever ammo I'm using had left some flakes in the barrel at the point of the casing and that that is what was causing the casing to stick in the barrel. (Time to move on to better ammo.) He also said that they made sure that my extra bolt carrier assembly was working properly as well. Could not get it apart to clean after purchasing from the factory. They are going to test fire today. I asked that they heat the gun up as that is when I was having the issue. He said they would. He also told me that the gunsmith did some polishing as well.

And now for the best part: I asked Mario that since this appears to be a "cleaning" issue on my part, what would the charge be. He told me that they usually give the customer the benefit of the doubt and that there would be NO CHARGE. I thanked him for that, told him Armalite rocks, and that I appreciate that and the hard work his department did to get my rifle working. I fully expected to pay as this was my issue and not a "defect" with the gun.

ARMAlITE ROCKS! I will definitively recommend them and will heed their advice on cleaning.

Keep up the excellent service and as long as they do, they have a customer for life.

So on to my next question, anyone recommend a good quality ammo?

Lee
12 years 3 months ago #10102

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!