Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Super SASS versus 10T

• Thank you received: 1

Super SASS versus 10T was created by chuter

I love my 10T and wouldn't trade it for the world. A buddy is looking at the Armalite Super SASS versus a 10T for some mid to long range shooting. The SASS is coming in around $3k. Yes the quad rail looks cool but what would you attach to it for long range shooting? I put a PRS stock on my 10T and I really like it. I have the Burris bipod and a great Springfield Armory Gen II scope in the Armalite rings. Should have done the PRS stock years ago. For a little over $100 I could have the barrel threaded for a really nice Gem-Tech suppressor. So... where does the $3k come in and why would he drop the extra $$$ over the cost of a 10T? Is there something I'm missing?
11 years 11 months ago #11143

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

My choice to go sass instead of the T model was, surprisingly, because it was the most bang for the buck. I've said before, Armalites super sass is boringly complete, out of the box, ready. If it is what your friend is looking for, it would be difficult to duplicate the weapon as it comes, for armalites asking price, and even more difficult to do for less. The "trick" bits & pieces, and a claimed dose of extra attention to the barrel adds up quick.
I was out the door with mine +10 mags for about 2600-2700ish back in late 2008. I'm guessing it has gone up since then?

I agree with you on the quad rail. Without an intended use, it becomes superfluous. My top rail is reserved (pending $$$$$ to purchase) for night vision, mounted ahead of the scope. I also mount a light on occasion, as the need arises ( In the woods at night with the kids culling hog/yote/armadillo/etc. or just shooting for the sake of it.)
I disagree about the PRS. I switched to the UBR and think this should be the standard stock offered. The PRS, while well intentioned, really did not work for me on this weapon. The cheek piece is too far rearward to be of any use with my natural point of aim. It would have required moving the scope back and adding length of pull, and adjusting me to accommodate the stock, which is opposite its intent.
Secondly, at it's shortest it was too long for my kids to use the weapon comfortably. I did like it otherwise, particularly the heft helping balance the weapon.
The only other mod I have done to my sass is not exclusive. I installed a geissele DMR trigger simply because, it is an awesome trigger, and would have done so with the T model or any other.

Ofcourse, all of this is only relevant to what I wanted out of a rifle. The T is a fine weapon, but for what I wanted, if I had gone with that, I would end up with a homebrew sass and a box of T parts.

OT/ you fly that helo?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 11 months ago #11146

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Tigerdan on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

I own both a 10t and a supersass. My 10t is the 24' ss barrell and it shoots just as well as my sass. I think it boils down to preference.Ive put a quad rail o n my 10t I really didnt need it but it looks cool and it does help with extra lights and bipod. Some times I just like the standard old stock but what can I say I was an Jarhead. I,m even thinking of designing my own stock for them. It might be alittle heavier but I have a good idea.
Keep shooting my Ar10 brothers..
11 years 10 months ago #11554

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

If you look at the web site...there is a few things that the sass has over the T..
For the Most part...If I remember right...the SASS is a Upgraded T...except for the SS bull barrel...as for that hanguard...well those are not that expensive...
The SASS also has the gas regulator on it...but there are some differences...what I want to do is buy a SASS upper for my Lower...then I can have my Carbine and the pleasure of breaking out my SASS as well...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 10 months ago #11586

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by cliff on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

has anyone purchased a prs stock for their 10t and had second thoughts? thinking about it, but not sure if I want to..but they look really nice.. also does it have any slop or excessive movement in it.. just not seeing the benefit,,other than the fact I can't leave anything alone..lol,, and tired of looking at my A2 stock,,,someone help me out here...
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by cliff.
11 years 10 months ago #11600

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

I personally don't have one...always thought about the UBR...but without seeing one...I just don''t want to risk it....I have heard of a few guys that have bought the PRS and regretted it...as for and "slop"...they are very tight in fit and operation..they are superb stocks but from what I have heard they are quite Heavy... :(
just something to think about... :whistle:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 10 months ago #11603

Replied by chuter on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

I have the PRS on my AR-10T and Colt HBAR (.223)now. Weight doesn't seem to really be an issue. They work well and that is the key. I'm glad I went with the PRS.
11 years 9 months ago #11606

Replied by gnfiter3 on topic Re: Super SASS versus 10T

Well, I finally got mine back. The intent was to cut and thread the 10T barrel for a suppressor. After 20 years, the hand guard wouldn't come of, so it was destroyed. So, Armalite 15 inch rails, Oden low pro and adjustable gas block, QD Suppressor flash, and other appropriate gun smith work; a SASS conversion for less than $600.00. MSRP for a SASS upper, $1841.00. Guess I can live with that.
5 years 6 months ago #48046

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!