Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

• Thank you received: 111

DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS? was created by SOC

DPMS GII

This is an AR15 rifle in .308 caliber that has ben reengineered to a great degree with the purpose of not only upgrading the internals but shrinking the size and weight of the .308 to more closely resemble a 5.56 AR.

It is indeed very close to an AR15 in size as well as weight. While a 5.56 rifle weighs in at just over 6 pounds empty a .308 weighs in at a bit over 8 pounds. The new DPMS splits the difference at a little over 7 pounds.

A similar Armalite AR-10 carbine is an honest 7.75lbs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51, jtallen83
10 years 2 months ago #33653

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

No one will know until it gets to the rifle range in someone's hands.
10 years 2 months ago #33657

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

Part of me likes the idea but the other part asks if there isn't enough confusion when it comes to parts already????
And then there's my thoughts on the Remington conglomerations politics :banghead:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 2 months ago #33661

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

DPMS = The Freedom Group = utter failure.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 2 months ago #33665

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by alamo308 on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

My 2008 'old school' LR-308 works utterly fine all the way out to 1,000 yards, using either iron sights (apertures) or glass. Shooting prone with sling; need to try a bipod now, maybe even one of those fancy-shmancy leather sand-bag adjustable rests, too.
:P
10 years 15 hours ago #36152

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

Right off the bat they do a great throw down on explaining why and what they have done, so for a guy like me they have gone a long ways toward selling it.

That said there is NO interchangeability at all, zero. Its not only a new gun, its a new gun design, is it better? Well that story can only be answered in 3 ways: testing, testing, testing. Oh its GREAT they have saved some weight, but that does little good if they gun cannot perform any better than a boat paddle.

We have no shortage of superior designs that failed to make the grade...Sony BetaMax comes to mind.

I want it to work, but we will not have an answer until there are enough rds down range to burn up a lot of bbls...

This is neither a thumbs up or down, I will sit on the sideline for a while on this one...
9 years 11 months ago #36173

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

Interesting. Like Cowboy, I want it to succeed, but only time and testing will tell. I do like the re-designed bolt. The curved bolt lugs get rid of the stress risers found on standard AR bolts. I'm certain that feature will help increase the longevity of the bolt.

What's interesting is what DPMS DOESN'T talk about - the buffer and buffer spring. The bolt carrier has less mass, the upper,lower and barrel assembly have reduced mass as well. Yet DPMS claims the rifle has a softer recoil impulse than it's previous models. TANSTAAFL. In a firearm, if mass is reduced then perceived recoil will increase unless mitigated by something else. In an AR, the something else is the buffer/buffer spring. I'd wager DPMS is using a stout flat wire spring and a buffer that weighs a metric ton. I also note that many of the models offered have some sort of muzzle brake, which will take some of the edge off the recoil of the rifle.
RLTW
9 years 11 months ago #36182

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

I like the idea, couple this with a short barrel and I like it a whole lot. Like Leb said a heavy buffer and brake will or could tame this beast. As for compatibility, I own a LAR-8. I spend my cash on a idea and a record not a name. If they come in this light and can make it work I will throw down on one. Time will tell.
9 years 11 months ago #36185

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

In general the above is correct, unless you are messing with cycling components.

An example is what is offered by JP rifles, ultra light buffers and carriers and adjustable gas tuned to just barely cycle those lighter weight parts.

Less cycling mass bouncing around and not bottoming out at the bottom of the cycle = less felt recoil.
9 years 11 months ago #36194

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic DPMS reworks the LR-308 will it be the good DPMS?

Last week Governor Snyder (Michigan) passed legislation to allow SBR/SBS here in Michigan. We have been drinking scotch since then, now that things have calmed down. What better platform than this to build a SBR and really see how light you can get it. Say a 14-16" barrel, carbon free float FA, and any other mods to get a really light rifle.
9 years 11 months ago #36197

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!