Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

SIG P716, Yep, It's A PISTOL !!!!!!!

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic SIG P716, Yep, It's A PISTOL !!!!!!!

So the P716 went back to Sig for troubleshooting. They reamed and polished the chamber as well as polished the feed ramps. I'm not sure what this had to do with a failure to eject issue but they claimed it was fixed. Almost made 100 rounds before the first failure to eject but today I had 5 in 30 rounds of M80 ball ammo, Sig CS continues to NOT impress me....
here are examples of the issue, I tried the ArmaLite ejector spring with no luck;

LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46692

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic SIG P716, Yep, It's A PISTOL !!!!!!!

I assume you have tried a different magazine? Wonder if the aperture from the barrel to the gas block is partly occluded? Just thinking out loud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
8 years 3 months ago #46695

Tried other mags, all P-mags but that is what it was born with. I've cleaned the piston system and tried different oils and no oil. The gas port looks to be fully open. Even on the adverse setting it leaves them sitting on the mag with the bolt locked back. I've read of others having this issue and Sig replaced the bolt with a dual ejector bolt, I have a feeling that may be the fix. The letter that came back from Sig said the failure to feed was fixed :huh:
.....never had or said anything about failure to feed so that tells me they are not reading the note sent with the pistol or seeing the pictures I emailed to the CS rep. If I could get the parts I'd work on it myself but all their springs and such are proprietary so they will be spending more on shipping I guess :pinch:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46696

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic SIG P716, Yep, It's A PISTOL !!!!!!!

Jt- I would pull the bolt and strip it down and look at the ejector, my be a poor heat treat on that part. Look for wear along the claw edge, there shouldn't be any. Just a thought , look over that whole bolt for where you may find something to explain it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
8 years 3 months ago #46716

Looked it over good but nothing stands out, looks like it did when new. There were fewer brass shavings after the ramp polishing and none behind the extractor or inside the ejector spring housing.
I just got the email with another shipping label and RMA number. I sent pictures to the CS guy and will put a note with "FAILURE TO EJECT" in as large a font as will fit on the paper and print it on both sides, might just put 20 copies in the box with it! The CS guy even asked what ammo I will be running so they can test it with the same stuff.....doubt they have FN M80 ball or MK319 but if it will work on any NATO cross or FC headstamp I should be good. I'm a little concerned that it took almost 100 rounds to show up again, they only use 20 rounds for a test and I don't want a "pistol" I have to clean every 50 rounds to maintain reliability, he promised it would be right this time and I know they have fixed rifles for others with the same issue so I'm going to give them another go, on their dime, I don't mind burning some ammo on trouble shooting but the fun starts to wear off when the only progress made is reducing the ammo stash :banghead:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46719

Well that sucks. I am sure they will get it right eventually, but I understand the consternation. Before you send it off throw it in the vise and do a couple of slow extractions, pulling the charging handle to the rear and see if you can localize the failure. I know your the same as myself in the desire to figure it out on your own.
8 years 3 months ago #46721

Just finished packing her back up for another trip, do you think I made the issue clear enough this time :laugh:

LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46767

This message has an attachment image.

I think they will get it now.
8 years 3 months ago #46781

Got the P716 back from Sig today, they seem to have understood my issue this time ;)
They installed "most current dual ejector revision"

I'll take it out and shoot the shit out of it this weekend and see what it does....
wish me luck, I don't think the wife will spend another day waiting for Fedex to pick up or drop of the pistol :pinch:
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46872

This message has an attachment image.

80 rounds this morning, 24 degrees 20 mph wind. 3 failure to ejects in the first 10 round magazine of ZQ1 M80 ball clone. Changed to adverse for 20 rounds with no issues but you can sure feel things getting slammed around. Tried some POF M80 clone with the same failure to eject results on the regular setting but functioned on the adverse setting. Tried a few rounds of Radway Green linked M80 ball and it functioned on the regular setting. I plan on testing a bit more over the holidays but won't be spending too much more on "testing" ammo.
Conclusion...she's a picky bitch that is only going to function reliably on the adverse setting or with hotter ammo. I was hoping this "pistol" could be a SHTF weapon that would eat whatever was available for it but that doesn't look like it is happening. This has solidified my low opinion of piston 308 guns since I have two other DI 308's that eat whatever I feed them without issue, over 3,000 rounds in my AR-10 and not one failure! There is something about the piston system that seems to require a much narrower pressure range for reliable operation.
Looks like I'll be looking to trade this off for a 308 DI "pistol", hope the ArmaLite version gets out into the market soon........might just have to build one myself.
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 3 months ago #46884

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!