Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Please be mindful that there are many different views on the forums. The only thing we all agree on is the AR-10 is an awesome rifle!

New Ammo Ban

• Thank you received: 556

New Ammo Ban was created by jtallen83

The administration appears to be taking a new step against AR-15 ammo;

www.nraila.org/articles/20150213/batfe-to-ban-common-ar-15-ammo

Most online vendors are sold out already. My wife just went and grabbed all that was left at the local Walmart, I can't buy any ammo here in the peoples republic of Massachusetts so I didn't bother to look here........
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 months ago #44226

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic New Ammo Ban

Yeah it sucks, I heard about it this morning and bought 1K at 10 o'clock. I like it because it is a good all around round. I know that it does have some penetration concerns, but don't feel that a ban was warranted.
9 years 2 months ago #44227

Replied by jtallen83 on topic New Ammo Ban

The gouging has already started;

www.surplusammo.com/5-56-xm-855-62-grain...rounds-in-berry-box/

You can buy Black Hills match ammo for this price!
It's a sad deal, prices had finally gotten back to the 30 cents a round range with M855 being one of the cheapest and most available. At these prices I'll be buying the 77 grain stuff, it shoots well out of both my pistol and my rifle.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 months ago #44228

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New Ammo Ban

In the gun digest series of books on the AR15 there is quite a discussion about M855 vs M193 ball ammo. The gist of it is the author's opinion is that for most use the M855 was actually a step back. It is too light to penetrate current military body armor, yet it has lost the tumbling and skewing that made the M193 a devastating anti personnel round at close range, Less than 200 yards. The US NATO allies pushed for it because they felt it would penetrate 1970's era Soviet body armor, and hold stability at a longer distance. After 600 yards, it still isn't much more energy than a 22 LR. It was the NATO SS109 before adoption as the M855 by the US military, and developed in Belgium, I believe. At close ranges not much different than the M193 round, and if you need more, that's why we have AR10's.
But from a political point, I completely agree with you guys. One more mindless poorly thought out restriction of freedom. If they only knew what my 75 grain barrier blind reloads were perfoming at!
9 years 2 months ago #44230

And that is what worries me most! Once they set the precedence then they can go back and ban the rest with the logic that it outperforms what is already banned.
This steady march against the citizens right to defend themselves against a tyrannical government can only be answered one way;
"Come and Take" as King Leonidas responded to Xerxes when asked to give up his weapons and live.
Sounds drastic but this slow death of the 2nd must be stopped, yesterday!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 months ago #44232

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New Ammo Ban

You do know that it was originally REMOVED from the ATF list as an AP rd. In fact as an AP rd its really a light weight as far as they go....
9 years 2 months ago #44236

I hope you can encourage your friends at the NRA to take a stand on this.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 months ago #44238

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New Ammo Ban

I was invited to Cabo to meet with some highers (as in big 6) but due to a business commitment I cannot make it, but a very good friend is there and we are talking on this now, I just sent him a bunch of stuff on it. There are only going to be 6 folks there so my thoughts will be relayed by my buddy...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Akai, jtallen83
9 years 2 months ago #44240

The comment section on this informative video contains info on the public comment process dealing with this proposed ban;

LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 1 month ago #44250

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic New Ammo Ban

They ought to worry more about nuts like one we have at our club.
He had special made carbide ''center punches'' made up to use as AP cores in home swaged bullets.
He shot 5 rounds at our backstop , which is a A-36 one inch plate at a 45 deg angle.
He had a nice ragged one inch group of 3/16 in. holes at 200 yards !
He is using a 30-06 as he says the .308 is too puny.
He wants to find some one who is going to junk a car, as he wants to try to shoot one into an engine running a 55 mph RPM to se what happens to it !
He ordered these cores from a carbide co. that cut them and ground straight tapered points on them.
He uses a swaged jacketed bullet, and swages the core into it from behind, this squishes out the lead around it, he trims it then swages on the boat tails.
Seem accurate enough.
He is supposed to give me some to try.
Think I will load them up, and save them ''just in case''
9 years 1 month ago #44253

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!