Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

problems with my new r25

• Thank you received: 0

problems with my new r25 was created by tcorrea89

Well, I just bought a brand new Remington r-25 in. 308 and am having problems with it ejecting shells... when I'm shooting Steele cased ammo (tulammo) I get about twenty rounds off before it jams and with brass ammo (Winchester/American eagle) its jamming about every tree or four shots. I put about two hundred rounds through it hoping it might clear out but no, its still doing it. Ive been shooting for a few years now but I'm new to the whole ar/semi auto world. And help is much appreciated
12 years 2 months ago #10443

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: problems with my new r25

ARs like to run wet. Clean it real good, lube the crap out of the bolt, and try again.

I've heard good things about Break Free, but have never tried it. Bob Downey likes Lubriplate 130-A. I'm using LSA medium weapons oil with good results, but will likely switch to Lubriplate when I run out.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 2 months ago #10447

Replied by tcorrea89 on topic Re: problems with my new r25

Well just got back from the range after doing what you said and for the most part its working well, only thing is I can cause a jam by firing to quickly... now as far as I know you shouldn't be able to do that right? I'm pulling the trigger fast but by no means do I have a fast trigger finger so still a little worried about it... it this something that might work itself out with somemore rounds through it?
12 years 2 months ago #10455

When my 10A4 was new it didn't like anything but 180gr Rem. Anything else caused it to short-cycle and fail to eject. Sometimes when it did eject it wouldn't pick up the next round. Now (a few hundred rounds in) it runs fine with 150gr Rem and 168gr Hornaday too (but that's all I've tried so far).

Do you think it's short-cycling? If it holds open after the last round then probably not.

Charlie
12 years 2 months ago #10457

Replied by tcorrea89 on topic Re: problems with my new r25

Well there's a slight chance its short cycling... out of about 350 rounds through it it has closed the chamber empty once, maybe twice... it has never failed to pickup a round though. I notice when it was first jamming on me it was leaving the spent cartridge in the barrel/chamber, but after cleaning and lubricating it it has quit that. Now when it fails it seems to be feeding the next round before the spent one is fully ejected. Would that be a symptom of a short cycle? Should I try heavier rounds?
12 years 2 months ago #10458

Yes, and it wouldn't hurt to try a heavier round, but first check these posts:

DPMS/CMMG feed jams...HELP!!!

Observations of owning an AR 10

Extractor Issues

Failure to extract and failure to chamber are fairly common issues, mostly related to ammo choice, cleaning and lubrication, but they can be QC issues as well.

Charlie
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Charlie.
12 years 2 months ago #10461

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by AR260rem on topic Re: problems with my new r25

X2

I use Break Free CLP same as in the Air Force and it works well.

My AR-10T 260 Remington was very picky about the powder type loaded in the rounds I was using for a few hundred rounds (short cycling mostly), it has since become less picky. The powder burn speed in ammo for semi auto rifles is very important. This may be why some brands cycle better than others. Also heavier bullets usually are loaded with slower gun powders which helps gas guns cycle more vigorously due to more available gas pressure at the gas port. Too much pressure can break things and not enough short cycles the action. There are many articles floating around the web on this and it is also addressed in Sierra's latest reloading manual.

I would also recommend trying different ammo/bullet weights as well as shooting your gun more. If it is not reliable with several brands after 300 rounds I would call Remington.
12 years 2 months ago #10494

Replied by hunter7m on topic Re: problems with my new r25

:) havent read all the posts but. same problem changed out factory mag to a "c profuct" and problem disapeared.
12 years 1 month ago #10641

Replied by hunter7m on topic Re: problems with my new r25

mine did the same with the remington/dpms mags. changed to "c Products" mags problem disapeared
12 years 1 month ago #10788

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by GhillieGhost on topic problems with my new r25

I can't seem to find any C product Mags on their site ????
another source maybe ?? :unsure:
NRA LIFE MEMBER
ROCKY MOUNTAIN ELK FOUNDATION LIFE MEMBER
RMGO MEMBER
C.C.C.A. MEMBER

I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE FACT THAT IT WILL BE UP TO US TO SAVE THE GREATEST COUNTRY ON THIS PLANET,, LOCK AND LOAD ,, IT'S COMING !!!

.308 THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE
10 years 6 months ago #29613

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!