Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

R25's freebore length (leade) and throat angle?

• Thank you received: 2

R25's freebore length (leade) and throat angle? was created by fivewhy

I am wondering if there is a chamber print or other publication denoting the i) freebore length (leade), ii) throat length, and iii) throat angle of the stock R25 chamber for the .308 cal. I recognize that I can do a chamber cast to measure this for my specific rifle, and this is exactly what I will ultimately have to do. For now, I am just looking for some publication of this data...if there is any. If there is nothing that is specific to the Remington, is there anything that is specific to the AR10 platform (as opposed to the SAAMI standard for .308)? I am by no means a seasoned veteran as to handloading, so I appreciate any and all guidance....particularly if I am being a dumbass about something (I'd rather a person tell me I'm a dumbass than have my weapon and rounds tell me I'm a dumbness...). Thanks.

Sidenote: I am defining the freebore length as the space between the forward end of the case neck (meaning, the very forward/front end of the headspace measurement) and the beginning of the barrel throat. I do not include the throat length in the measurement of the freebore length.
11 years 3 months ago #15965

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic R25's freebore length (leade) and throat angle?

I'm not sure there is a set number, at least for loading purposes. I know bolt guns I've loaded for in the past had different numbers to bet the same bullets to touch lands, I'm betting you'll find the same with AR's. I haven't loaded for my AR-10 yet but I've been reading everything I can, seems like fitting the magazine for reliability is the main factor on bullet depth, I haven't read of anyone that was able to load anything to long and still function. some bench-rest guys talk about using the rifle like a single shot so the can put the depth where they want.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 months ago #15969

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic R25's freebore length (leade) and throat angle?

For that sort of info, I'd say contact Remington. If you're going to continue to research on your own, also research DPMS and Bushmaster .308 rifles since all three companies are currently owned by Freedom Group.
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #15973

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by fivewhy on topic R25's freebore length (leade) and throat angle?

I completely agree with that statement. I do not believe that I would be able to feed a round thru the mag well (or fit in the mag) that I have extended so far as to come close to the lands...at least not in a stoner chamber. I'd be left with a single shot action that I have to feed through the breech (well, ejection port). However, it enheartens me to know that this is where your mind went in response to my question (means I'm not too far off my rocker). I am just going to have to get around to doing a good chamber cast one day, though I will def try to call up Remington or DPMS (they make the upper, apparently). My goal is just tinkering/thought-experiment type stuff, and getting to know my rifle.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by fivewhy.
11 years 3 months ago #15976

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!