Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

1K isn't that far

• Thank you received: 216

1K isn't that far was created by Libertarian623

Actually 1128m to be exact, yesterday I posted (some day) when referring to shooting at 1000m. Well I had the day off and decided today was the day. I had already scouted the area , so I drove out to the lake and set out a 10x14 inch steel target out about 50' from shore. Then drove to the other side of the lake (6mi) to a bluff where I had a good view. I set up wind was calm and I had dope to 600 from the previous day and temp and humidity where almost identical. Also last night did a validation of the G7 ballistics chart from the previous day. So I dialed in the the elevation and 1.25MOA for windage and let it fly. Well first impact was 2MOA high and 2MOA left , at this point dialed in the correction. I missed the next two shots but went 6 for 10 on the first ten rounds including the sighter. So there you have it RRA LAR8 combined with Winchester ballistic silver tips (168gr) = potent combination. I have to say I did not expect these results, in fact it seemed a little to easy. Will get some video next time I go out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, NightForce
9 years 8 months ago #41555

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 1K isn't that far

:twothumbs: Sounds like a blast! I love it when you can count off before the sound of steel getting whacked reaches you!
Is the silvertip still supersonic at that range?
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 8 months ago #41556

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic 1K isn't that far

Yes its still supersonic but not by much. I was surprised how accurate it was. I am really thinking of buying either a bolt gun or a 300 win mag semi ( which I should not be contemplating ).
9 years 8 months ago #41558

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 1K isn't that far

Why not just take the big step, get a 50BMG, .416 Barrett, or .338 Lapua B)
Then you can really stretch your legs!
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 8 months ago #41559

I like the 338 lapua , maybe a Nemo. But unsure whether a bolt gun or semi.
9 years 8 months ago #41562

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by magi on topic 1K isn't that far

That's prety good.....
9 years 8 months ago #41567

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic 1K isn't that far

I like the .416 Taylor, based on the .458 Winchester Magnum case necked down, held a lot of Ne state shooting records for a long time, working on one based on the old 98 action :cowboy:
AKAI
9 years 8 months ago #41581

Akai that sounds like a great project. What are you thinking for muzzle velocity. Second question is what are the bullets BC are you looking at.
9 years 8 months ago #41584

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic 1K isn't that far

The A-Square factory loads drive a 400 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2350 fps with muzzle energy (ME) of 4905 ft. lbs. The figures at 100 yards are 2093 fps and 3892 ft. lbs., and at 200 yards the velocity is 1853 fps and the remaining energy is 3049 ft. lbs. These figures are only very slightly less than those produced by the much larger and more expensive .416 Rigby, which would seem to confirm the wisdom of Chatfield-Taylor's design. Still trying to find my barrel :mad: moved not to long ago and now it seem to have disappeared, have the bolt turned out for the magnum cartridge, need to weld on the new angled bolt handle and find a stock I like, got burned on e-bay on some ,458 brass won't do that again.
AKAI
9 years 8 months ago #41589

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!