Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

• Thank you received: 1

Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod.. was created by Macky

So, I have a bipod on my stick. I honestly have 0 idea of the manufacturer. I used it, and a bipod for the first time this weekend. Pretty sweet. Had some good guys running through the proper techniques so that was great.

So, to me, a bipod is exactly what it's name implies. Really it works or it doesn't, or so I thought. Of course the guys I was with, looked at mine, and were like, you need a better bipod for your rifle. Sadly, I didn't inquire as to why.

So what makes a POS bipod as opposed to a great bipod?

From my experience, here is what I thought. My bipod it seemed after squeezing off 3+ rds, always seemed to folder under itself just a little bit. Like the 'spring-ege' was taken from a 20 year old mattress. This really messed my NPOA, and I felt like sidewinder moving across the sand to always readjust.

So is it just basic stability of a bipod which separates the good from the bad? Being able to handle the recoil? Or is it more than that? I always see Harris as the go-to pod. Seems like a reasonable priced attachment.
10 years 10 months ago #24120

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

I had a cheap one, NCSTAR, literally fall to pieces while I was shooting, never heard of anything like that on a Harris.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #24124

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

The only time I've ever had real success with a bipod was when I was also using a sling attached to my support arm. It really held that rifle stable. Just resting on a bipod though? Never had any luck with it.

As far as I know, what makes a good bipod good are the same things that make most equipment good. Quality materials, proper assembly, and a design that isn't flawed. The quality of the parts used can be deceptive. Proper assembly is much easier to ascertain. You can feel by handling something if the parts are loosely fitted or if fasteners are loose, etc. Design though? Not a clue.

If you'd like to share any advice on shooting with a bipod, I'd be very appreciative.
10 years 10 months ago #24126

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Macky on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

Well, this was my first time shooting the AR. So, I'm not certain how much advice I can give other than what basics were given me.

I am a righty. With my left hand I used the rear swivel on my A2 buttstock and positioned that between my pointer and thumb. Then I pulled the stock into my shoulder (swivel anchored between thumb and pointer, arm bent) and continued on with the normal prone position.

Locking that stock in with my left hand/arm really kept the rear solid I felt, I just thought the front end felt loose. I plan on weighting the stock a bit to help with recoil too. Maybe that will help out the front issue. I got to thinking that stronger springs might be the key to a better pod to deal with recoil, or maybe the angle of the bipod legs.
10 years 10 months ago #24128

Ok. I've seen people grasp the left leg of their bipod with their left hand before as well. Not sure if they were pulling or pushing, but it seemed to work for them.
10 years 10 months ago #24130

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

Bipods can surprisingly be a rather involved subject. I almost never use a bipod on a range where I have the ability to use bags & benches etc.
On the flip side, bipods usually aren't worth squat in the field. Go prone and get a nice shot of the grass and brush right in front of the rifle because the bipods too short. Break out the shooting stix....so why did I by a bipod.

Having said all of that, they do come in handy frequently enough that I can't imagine not having one. I have Harris and been using Harris for ages, but they have not kept up with the times and better bipods are out there. One of these days I'll get an Atlas. Another good choice for AR types is Bobro.

This is my constantly delayed project for field use.

Currently messing with the Kley Zion precision rifle pod, I typically use a plywood table top, so to speak, as the idea behind this is portable shooting bench. So far it's been rock solid. I just need to tweak it a bit, which never seems to end. I'm thinking My next move may be bolting a hacked up lead sled to it.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 10 months ago #24135

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

I always try to "load" my bipod by pulling back and down, somewhere along the line I was taught that. I use one of those grip type pods they sell on the ArmaLite site for the range; www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=T-PO...31-b6ae-0a26a4c8e8a3
I was sure it was tough because Armalite sold them, and I found it for $10 second hand ;) ! I don't care for it in the forward grip configuration though, just can't find a comfortable grip with 90 degree forward grips.
These Atlas bi-pods are considered by many the cream of the crop; www.accu-shot.com/Atlas_Bipods.php
For me they would only work on the bench, I need about 24 inches if I'm not in a blind or on a bench to get over grass and such in my location.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 10 months ago #24137

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Bipod Bipod Bipod, wait that's a Tripod..

I'm in the Bitteroot in Montana. It's a good combination of alpine woods, mountians and prairie. I like my 6-9" Harris as it gets me over most of the prairie grass.

I also use a Voodoo Premium Deluxe shooters mat. It is a great combo of dragbag, shooting mat, and backpac. It fits all my rifle gear and spotting equipment.

It's my Yote and Varment rig.
10 years 10 months ago #24139

The only bipod I've ever owned (not the only one I've ever used though) was a Versa-Pod.

If I were going to get one now, I'd consider something from GG&G:

www.gggaz.com/tactical-bipods.html

At least one of them, The Standard XDS Bipod, has a Nato Stock Number. Someone thought it was good enough to issue - or at least make available through the PX system. As with many things though, it depends on your intended use. If I were going to be in the field a lot and possibly shooting from position in rough terrain, I might prefer the XDS-2. Since it allows for pan and cant, it might be easier to set up on ground that isn't level. For shooting from a bench, or prone on mostly flat ground, those characteristics wouldn't be as important to me.

Either way, I've had good luck with both their back-up sights (capable of shooting consistent groups with them) and their Accu-Cam QD scope mounts.
10 years 10 months ago #24140

Oh, and Colt: Nice set up with the tripod. How well does it hold up?
10 years 10 months ago #24141

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!