Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins

• Thank you received: 556

Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins was created by jtallen83

Finally Iowa has joined the civilized world and I can own a can. Just got my trust paperwork completed today and have an AAC 762-SDN-6 suppressor spoken for when my LGS gets his order in. There is a downside to being the first in town to buy, nobody is real familiar with the process. The Sheriff's office told me they didn't have the fingerprint cards I needed but the owner of the LGS, a Cop, says they do for sure, tell them the blue one! By the time I got back there they were closed for the day but by noon tomorrow I should be $1,000 lighter and my form 4 will be on the way to the ATF, the wait begins.
Lord grant me patience and properly filled out paperwork :pray:
Edit;
Turned out I don't need the fingerprint card, photo, or CLEO sign off with my trust. Just 4 hours, lots of phone calls, and a tree's worth of wasted paper and I have a form 4 on the way to the ATF.
Bonus for buying at my LGS, I get to use the suppressor at his indoor range till the stamp comes in! :woohoo:
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by jtallen83.
7 years 11 months ago #47512

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins

Thinking about making the plunge myself. If I do probably get a 300 Blackout upper as well for one of the 15's.
7 years 11 months ago #47514

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins

The ability to run it suppressed has me rethinking the 300BLK as well. Never saw the advantage before but now I find myself pricing parts for a build :whistle:
LIBERTY FIRST!
7 years 11 months ago #47516

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins

I don't see the ability to own a suppressor in Illinois coming in my lifetime, so unless I move, I will never own one. :(
7 years 11 months ago #47532

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begins

Congratulations on your purchase. I don't understand why suppressors cost more than most ARs. $1000 for a tube with a few baffles in it seems ridiculous. Look at what a car muffler costs which uses more material and has just as exacting of specifications. Suppressors don't require as much engineering, are no where near as complex to manufacture as a firearm, don't have the safety oversight of a firearm, and use a 10th as much material. I think they are extremely overpriced for what you are getting. Maybe someone will start building some economical suppressors more in line with the engineering complexity and material used.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by JustMe.
7 years 11 months ago #47536

The prices have come down some, the actual suppressor cost was $650. The rest is tax stamp and the cost of setting up the trust which is a one time deal. As market increases I'm betting they come down more. If the federal government would just follow the constitution the price would plummet for sure.
LIBERTY FIRST!
7 years 11 months ago #47540

LIBERTY FIRST!
7 years 5 months ago #47731

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by MarkM on topic Step One-Trust, Check! form 4 and the wait begin

I agree with some of what you say. The government just doesn't want to follow their laws and directives. As far as the "can" itself the rigors of engineering and testing all contribute to the price. Any "can" that people buy has very tight tolerances, it must endure a lot of heat cycles without deformation, materials such as titanium, iconel (bad spelling?) are very expensive. All this while trying to make a profit for the manufacturer plus the retailers' profit brings the price for said "can" up into the stratosphere.
7 years 5 months ago #47739

Just loving these SDN-6's as well as a Tirant-45. AAC has been exemplary on customer service. Had an end cap strike due to not having the latch in the groove. They fixed it and put it down to a latch repair warranty fix. Had some 200 gr. S&B subs in the 300 BO pistol that were coming apart in the can, baffles full of copper and lead, shoot a round of 308 in it and shake out what comes loose, couple times more and you couldn't tell the difference inside, that inconel baffle just eats bullets. Honestly the price of the suppressor and tax stamp pales to the additional ammo expenses over the years..........
LIBERTY FIRST!
3 years 10 months ago #48064

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!