Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

• Thank you received: 16

AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting was created by silverman1

We left Ohio on the 13th. and went to Buffalo/Sheridan Wyoming area prairie dog hunting.
I used my Varmint set up AR 15 for 50 to 400 yard shots.
I took along my DPMS LR 308 to use for shots 400 yards plus.
After eliminating all close range targets, with the .223, (I was never able to get to a range in Ohio, that was over 200 yards), so I would range find a rock, and walk in the bullets , till I hit the rock, and mark down the scope settings in my note book.
I used a 12-40 X 50 Osprey tactical style scope, and after app. 35-38 power, this scope starts to get fuzzy.
Even at 38 power, a prairie dog at long range,is covered by the cross hair X ,
After shooting over 400 rounds, to make an actual drop chart,( as the computer program drop chart was way off) I started to try to shoot actual prairie dogs.
Even with 1/8 in clicks on my scope, a shot that hit low ,and the scope raised one click at some ranges would shoot over it.
I tried to shoot one at (according to the range finder)was 701 yards away.) I fired app. 20 to 25 rounds walking the bullet in, and I finally connected , on that little 3X8 inch target at 701 yards!
The 40 power scope would show so much movement, you could watch your heart beat as the cross hairs would move on the target.
I have a Harris bipod on the front, and a monopod on the Magpul PRS stock on the rear, which has a quick movement button, and then you screw the monopod up, and down to fine tune.
The monopod has a knurled lock nut on the threads, and after fine tuning, it was necessary to lock the threads to minimize movement.
The Harris was springy at that range, and I ended up buying a pair of pants at goodwill, and cutting the legs off, and filling them with ""sand'' from ant hills, and when the Harris had a sand bag in front, and behind it, it became a lot more stable at those long ranges.
I was severely disappointed in the performance of the 168 grain hollow point match bullets.(Nosler, and Sierra).There was no expansion at all, and the hole was barely noticeable through the dogs.
I might as well have been shooting FMJ bullets,
I heard a lot of ricochets, but when on a 1000+ acre ranch, and no cattle behind us, I was not worried about them.
I loaded 200 rounds of Hornady 168 gr ballistic tip bullets, and those you could hear the pop, when you hit one, but at $30.00 per 50, I did not want to shoot them exclusively.
I shot close to 1000 rounds of 168 gr match bullets, and only actually shot 104 dogs, but again a Prairie dog is a mighty small target at 400 plus yards. I shot a whole box of 50 rounds at one 990 yards away, and churned up dirt all around it, but never hit it. if it would have been a man size target, they would have been down on the first round.
I used a Bushnell 1500 yard range finder, and was not impressed with the performance of it.
That area is large hill after hill, and you could range find a dog, say at 400 yards, and move over to the right 10 foot to a mound that was by eye closer, and the range finder might show it as 420 yards ??
I think it picks up the hills behind them, and not the mound/dog.
I think if I could find a more accurate AFFORDABLE one, it would cut down on the number of shots taken per dog.
I have a clamp on WITT compensator , and When installed, I could not notice any reduction in recoil, but muzzle climb, was almost eliminated, where I could watch the bullet hit, with the 40 power scope.
If any one wants to see a pic of my rifle, ask, and I will post one, as soon as I download the trip pics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, OleCowboy, Libertarian623
9 years 9 months ago #40137

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

Great report! We love pictures as well as any reloading info you care to share, books are a little short on what works in our rifles.
Thanks again for sharing :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 9 months ago #40139

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

Quick question: On those long shots, were you adjusting for Parallax?
9 years 9 months ago #40148

Replied by silverman1 on topic AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

My scope has 2 parallax adjustments , the knob on the left, is actually a ''focus'', but they call it parallax, plus the adjustment ring on the eyepiece, to focus the cross hairs, they call parallax..
The eyepiece was set, and remains constant, but the ''focus'' has to be changed for yardage.

As far as loading data goes, I ended up with best accuracy on my 168 gr HPBT match, 2 different brands, and 2 different brands of 168 gr ballistic tip bullets.
I used 41 gr of IMR 4064.
As soon as I can afford more bullets, I need to work up a load using IMR 4895, as I bought 16 pounds at Camp Perry last year
I cannot get my phone to download pics, tells me ''try later'',

I will keep trying
9 years 9 months ago #40172

My AR15, AND DPMS LR .308
9 years 9 months ago #40173

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

:thumbs: nice pair! What 5.56 load were you using?
9 years 9 months ago #40174

I was using 55 gr Nosler ballistic top varmint bullets, ahead of 27.0 gr. H335 (WC 822?)
I tried Rem., Win. and CCI primers, and CCI benchrest bullets, and groups with the AR 15 would ALWAYS print, with 2 together, and 3 together, never all 5 together.
I tried waiting 3 min, with a timer between shots, to see if it was due to barrel heating up, but it still did it.
I do have a problem when loading this fine a powder on my Dillon, that I get powder spillage ending up on the shell plate, that I did have to keep brushing off. It almost seems like the Dillon collar is too loose on the case shoulder.
I am thinking about trying to cut odd a .17 RF case, and put it inside the powder collar with Loctite, and it should go inside the case, and prevent that.
Any one have any suggestions why my groups on the .223 separate?
9 years 9 months ago #40176

.223 55 gr nosler ballistic tip..100 yard groups
9 years 9 months ago #40177

This is an average 100 yd. Group with the DPMS LR .308 168 GR HPBT Brand of bullet did not seem to matter. The ballistic tip bullets were lsrger groups.but still within the black. I use black 3/4 in squqre target pasters.and put them up diamond shspe.so i can put the cross hairs on the four corners.
9 years 9 months ago #40178

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic AR 10 Prarie Dog Hunting

Nice shooting Silverman!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
9 years 9 months ago #40181

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!