Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

hunting 308 ar platform

• Thank you received: 0

hunting 308 ar platform was created by cazador32

Looking for suggestions on a 308 or 7.62 ar hunting rifle . Want sub moa , cost is not an issue . Im considering christiansen arms , knights armorment , jp ent . Any help or sugestions on brand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
12 years 10 months ago #7567

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by 2ndchance on topic Re: hunting 308 ar platform

Without knowing any particular required specs, its hard to just toss out names. Everyone you mentioned can build a wonderful (and accurate) rifle. There is one that you "didn't" mention so I will bring it up.

If you are not stuck on the AR-10 platform, G.A. Precision builds the GAP-10. They use POF upper/lower receiver and can use a barrel length of 16.5 to 22".

I don't have any personal experience G.A. Precision, but during my 25 days of research and forum crawling, his company came up ALOT.

Their base price starts at $2,600 but will change based on options.

www.gaprecision.net/

After my research, I decided to just buy an Armalite SuperSASS. It saved me the time and hassle of building one, and I can always "add" to it as I see fit. I'm probably not going to hunt with it. It's more for 700 yard shots at 10" metal plates. :)

Depending on my hunt, though I may bring it out and see what it can do to a coyote or javalina. :P
12 years 10 months ago #7570

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: hunting 308 ar platform

Uh just to throw this in...GAP also uses ArmaLite as well...I have read several articles on the GAP ArmaLite Rifles...and OOOO Daddy, do they ROCK... :woohoo:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 10 months ago #7581

Replied by mantawolf on topic Re: hunting 308 ar platform

Larue Taactical PredatAR 7.62 with 16" barrel.

larueosr.com/ltp762-16.aspx

$2495
12 years 7 months ago #8512

Replied by Dsl728 on topic Re: hunting 308 ar platform

I know this is an old thread, but I recently purchased an ar-10 a4 20 inch I am able to shoot sub MOA with several different brands, type, and weights of factory ammo. I am planning on using it to hunt elk this fall. I am in New Mexico and have shot elk out to 500 yards with a .308 and dropped them where they stood.

The area I plan on hunting this year will limit my shots to about 300 yards. I am curious would you all top this rifle with a scope or a nice red dot. I can knock a 12 inch steel gong all day long with a red dot at 300 yards . However I have never shot for group with one at that distance. A red dot will lighten he load a bit and considering the rifle is already heavy I really like that idea.

I have a Midwest industries rail on it with MBUS and a ms2 2pt sling. I know that adds weight but the pay off of carrying the rifle in several different ways is worth the weight.

I have other rifles better suited for hunting. A kimber and a t.c. Both in .308 and a browning .30-06 but the ar just seems like it will be fun to hunt with, heir are no laws here restricting it, so why not.
11 years 10 months ago #11584

Just curious, is the MI railed hand guard a Gen 2 or 1..
As for the choice of red dot or scope...I would have to say a Scope in a QD mount such as a ADM Recon...they have two trow levers over the Scout model which has one in the center of the mount..better suited for a AR-10...as for the scope...that is up to you and your wallet...I would say at least 3x9 if not 4x16....or at least a Acog type or fixed power with a Adjustable Objective or Parraplex...
Congrats on the New Toy... :laugh:
BMS

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 10 months ago #11585

The hand guard is a gen 2. I like it, it seems very well built, no play at all. I think you are right about the scope.

How is the quality of ADM QD mount will it keep zero when removing it and replacing it?

Thanks
11 years 10 months ago #11587

Cool...I also have a Gen 2 on mine...very light...
As for the ADM mounts...I have not had any issues with them returning to Z.
Last year during a shooting match I took off my scope to view the other shooter's targets...everyone around me went nuts..."What are doing"...all I said was No worries... :laugh:
I did a couple of videos on them and posted it in the Rifle scope Cat...page 2.
Here is the link if you want to check them out....if you have any question..feel free to ask..
BMS

Link.....

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
11 years 10 months ago #11588

Nice. I did not know that was you. Your you tube vid is actually what sold me on the MI rail. Thanks. Now I guess I should take your advice and get the ADM . Any recommendation on where to buy.

By the way I have watched several of your videos the are great.
11 years 10 months ago #11590

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by WES213 on topic Re: hunting 308 ar platform

Yeah man +1 for your vids,you sold me on the MI flip up sights and the gen 2 two piece rails.

I really like the one piece scope mount but i got my eye on the Armalite one piece since its only 80 bucks, any thoughts here?
We go to war to fight terrorism and Communism then vote for a terrifying communist to lead us God help us all.
11 years 10 months ago #11591

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!