Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bushmaster BAR-10

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Nice pics, took quite a while to realize there was a concealed firearm in the first one. ;)
12 years 5 months ago #9275

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by SplineSpider on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Well, I lied. I guess I just thought my Bolt had been replaced prior to my purchasing it. But apparently not. I had my BAR-10 at the range last weekend sighting it in for Deer Rifle season here in Oklahoma. the gun shot very accurately as always mostly all in one ragged hole at 100 yards. but I did have a few rounds that didn't want to feed to well. Hmmm, dirty. Took it home to clean it before the next mornings hunt. and the tail of the Bolt was Broken off. I guess I am shopping for a bolt. and probably a new firing pin just to be on the safe side.

If anyone knows a website besides Bushmaster.com where I can order a replacement bolt or even what other bolt components are compatible with the Bushmaster BAR-10 I would appreciate the conversation/information.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by SplineSpider.
12 years 5 months ago #9294

Replied by Eagle15 on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

I would contact Bushmaster and request a new bolt. If that doesn't work contact RRA and ask them if their bolt will work in a Bushmaster. Other than that I am not sure what to do. I am definitely interested in how you get another bolt that works though. I will buy 2 as soon as you find a solution.

Thank you for the pictures, I have not seen the actual bolt failure that a lot of folks have talked about.

Found this www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=204459 It says that the Bo;t carrier group with bolt are interchageable, but not bolt only, you have to have the whole group from RRA including the RRA bolt.

www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...play&category_id=510 308A0032AGRP RRA LAR-8 Complete Bolt Carrier Group

$220.00 each

Bushmaster POCs: I have sent an email asking about warranty and availability of bolts.

For General Question, Parts or Repair:
Customer Service: 1-800-883-6229
Mon. through Fri. 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST
Technical Support:techsupport@bushmaster.com
Company Information:info@bushmaster.com

Address for all Mail:
Bushmaster Firearms International
P.O. Box 556
Madison, NC 27025

E-Mail Contacts:
International Sales: Connie.McClain@remington.com
Webmaster: webmaster@bushmaster.com
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Eagle15.
12 years 5 months ago #9297

Thanks, Eagle15 that is a great help. I haven't seen those posts before. I am going to put a call into Bushmaster today and see how far I get. I will post the results here. I haven't seen any posts on this either. I saw and old 2007 thread that suggested the failures were due to a design flaw for trying to use the FAL magazines leaving the Metal around the Lugs too thin? After Bushmaster dropped the line supposedly RRA fixed the problems by going to a different magazine. of course that was right before the RRA LAR=8's hit the market.

I plan to approach it pretty much the way you suggested and will post the results. The Serial number for mine puts it close to 400 in manufacture. if replacing the Bolt or Bolt carrier group will not be a permanent fix then I will get rid of it for what I can. It is a shame though as this is a very accurate and sweet shooting rifle.

Thanks for the quick reply.
12 years 5 months ago #9307

I contacted somebody at Bushmaster by phone and the first person I talked to was no help at all. This was right after Bushmaster was bought out by the Cerberus people. I called again and got hold of the right person but I'm at work and can't remember his name. I wrote it down at home. This guy had worked there for years and went to some musty old warehouse or something and dug me up several spare parts for my BAR10. I had already called RRA and they weren't selling any spare parts at that time, which was during the Obama scare. When I get home in a few days, I'll try to find the guy's name. He knew his stuff and was very helpful. Wouldn't doubt that he's quit now and working for the old Bushmaster people at Windham Weaponry. They were still in Maine when I called, I see from the address above that it's moved to NC.
12 years 5 months ago #9308

Very interesting. Unless your an investor that trades in gun manufacturer's stocks or an armorer you don't know when and where companies change hands or move plants. You always hear about the big ones but not some of the less flashy names. I appreciate info. I hope to get this thing up and working right and gain some knowledge I can share about this unknown early evolutionary dead end in the AR10's come back.

Not long after I picked up this rifle. Someone had done a very nice camouflage job on this rifle. so much so I thought it might be factory. Definitely not factory.

12 years 5 months ago #9312

No response from Bushmaster in email today, maybe something over the next few days.

That is a good loooking rifle. Mine is plain black with the ace stock, flat top. Great shooter though and I really like it. I would like to get another one, but I haven't seen very many for sale.
12 years 5 months ago #9313

Received a reply from Bushmaster Friday, It said "We do not have bolts available for the older BAR10 rifles."

I have now contacted RRA to determine if the RRA BCG will fit and can be used. I would like to get a current read on this and if true I will be buying a BCG and holding on to it in case my bolt breaks. I will post the reply as soon as I get it.

I also removed my BCG to look at the bolt, it looks just like yours with the ridge where yours broke, I can't see anything that looks like it is cracked or anything, still looks good, but I am still going to get a RRA BCG for a spare just in case.

On a side not I will be looking for a RRA LAR-8, either a Varmint, Predator, or Elite Operator, to keep my BAR10 company. I can't decide which one I want, I would like to have all 3, but that is way out of my budget. I'll let you guys know which one I get. It will probably be after the first of the year.
12 years 4 months ago #9458

OK-finally remembered to look up the helpful guy's name at Bushmaster. "Andy" is all I wrote down-probably with my poor hearing I didn't understand his last name. The number was the same--800-883-6229

The bolt part number is 8448510-3 in my old BM manual
The following user(s) said Thank You: SplineSpider
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by mtrmn.
12 years 4 months ago #9463

Great! thanks. I will call first thing tomorrow morning and let you/everyone what I find out.

Just in case someone Googles this response later and needs this info.

Some Bushmaster BAR-10s were known to be shipped with Bolts that had not been heat treated correctly. Many broke. Some in the middle but most at the groove in the tail section where the firing pin protrudes, so these bolts were recalled and Bushmaster offered to replace the bolts free of charge.

tomorrow I am going to call Bushmaster and test if this is still the case.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by SplineSpider.
12 years 4 months ago #9469

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!