Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Bushmaster BAR-10

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by SplineSpider on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Good idea. Checking the head-spacing will be a must when changing out the entire BCG. here is a link to Brownells for the gauges.

Brownells Guage set.

www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26876/Product/GO-NO-GO-GAUGE-SETS
12 years 3 months ago #9756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Perhaps everybody missed this statement in one of my previous posts?? I have used headspace guages before when I restored my grandfather's old US model of 1917 30-06 back to shootable condition. I will be checking the headspace, I just don't have any way of adjusting it if it's off-then it will be time to find a gunsmith for ARs.

I'm hoping that all the parts are held to a set of tight tolerances universally recognized by all the different manufacturers like the AR15 platform and nothing needs to be done. Right now just can't wait to get home in a week and get some hands-on. :)
12 years 3 months ago #9757

Got a reply to my email from Bushmaster 18 days after the first message was sent.

"We currently don't have anything avaialable. You should be able to use the rock river bolt as long as it is for an ar10 platform."

So Bushmaster tech support said the same thing I already figured out. My BCG should be at the house soon if it's not there already. I'll be home this weekend.
12 years 3 months ago #9843

Wow, very interesting. My best guess says you won't even have head spacing issues. I bet it drops right in. This has been a tremendously productive thread. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get to order mine.
12 years 3 months ago #9848

OK, got the RRA BCG. First battle out of the rocks--I tear down both old Bushmaster and new RRA BCG's and compare parts.

The bolt carriers are basically identical externally. The staking on the gas key is professional and sufficient to keep the screws in place. Internally the only difference I found was a larger hole for the "tail" of the bolt to pass through.

The tail of the new bolt (which is what broke on my old one) is larger in diameter than the old Bushmaster. The new one measures roughly 5/16" in diameter and has NO groove around the circumference. The old one measures only 1/4" in diameter, and of course the groove is where it broke.

The gas rings are identical.

The ejector, spring and pin are identical, although the new spring is 1/8" longer due to compression of the old one.

The extractors are very different. The NEW extractor, spring and pin are the same design as the standard AR15, just twice as big. The spring has a black rubber insert.
The OLD extractor, spring and pin will NOT interchange with the new RRA.

I measured the length of the locking lugs and the depth of the bolt face on both bolts----they are identical in measurement.

The firing pins are identical, the firing pin retaining pins are the same cotter pins, and the cam pins are the same other than some wear on my old one.

The headspace gauges said the headspace was good to go, so I assembled the rifle, screwed on the suppressor and fired a few test rounds paying close attention to the brass for any pressure signs or headspace issues. All is normal. I will have to order some spare extractor parts for the RRA, but other than that the repair is complete and it should last me a very long time now.

IF it ever came down to that, I feel that I could drill the "tail hole" :P in the old bolt carrier and use it with the new bolt. I don't know how hard that metal is though-maybe harder than a drill bit. And I can't foresee ever tearing up a bolt carrier anyway.
12 years 3 months ago #9932

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Note: Deleted duplicate post with no images (was probably a key bounce).

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #9935

Thanks Charlie-my computer seemed to lock up and after about 10 minutes I hit submit again.
12 years 3 months ago #9939

Great info. MUCH appreciated. the thing I think to do with the old heat treated bolt carrier would be to go purchase a reamer that is about .254 thousandths ream it to the correct size for the 1/4 bolt tail of the RRA bolt. You might be able to ream it without dealing with the heat-treating. if the Bolt Carrier is not just case hardened and truly heat-treated all the way through. But like you said there is no need. fantastic info thank you.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by SplineSpider.
12 years 3 months ago #9942

Replied by Eagle15 on topic Re: Bushmaster BAR-10

Great info Thank you!

I would keep the identical parts for spares, not sure I'd mess with the bolt carrier though. Sounds like the RRA BCG is the way to go. I'm glad the headspace worked out.

You run a suppressor on you BAR10? Could you post pics of the suppressor and flash hider? I am interested in a supressor.
12 years 3 months ago #9948

The new RRA bolt tail is 5/16"---just to be perfectly clear on this. The RRA is larger than the original BM--which was 1/4" Otherwise, good suggestion.
12 years 3 months ago #9950

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!