Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Ruger SR 762

• Thank you received: 547

Ruger SR 762 was created by Siscowet

I am surprised that I haven't seen any reports or reviews of Rugers piston driven 7.62 rifle on our site. Has anybody had an opportunity to try it?
10 years 5 months ago #31341

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Ruger SR 762

Don't know anything about it myself. I would imagine the lack of popularity is due to the ruger name. Old Bill did not exactly win over the pro 2A crowd, and we have long memories.

Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will come along and inform us.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 5 months ago #31342

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Keefer on topic Ruger SR 762

I looked at the SR-762. Not so much that I was considering buying one. More just curiosity. I would like to see a good unbiased review myself.
10 years 5 months ago #31347

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Ruger SR 762

I will see if I can find one somewhere...

Not often I say I like a piston setup, but in this case (and its just eyeballs on paper) I am fully behind it. Handling and shooting may tell a different story but I do not think so and here is why: I see a well designed (from the git-go) piston system and, AND it is adjustable, suddenly a lot of issues disappear.

If you have read my posts you know my objection to piston systems on ARs is that they are just and add on with little if any engineering and performance testing involved...in other words they are just following 'fashion' and being trendy, no more, no less. But it looks like Ruger has looked at the piston system and engineered it from scratch to work...as most weapons that have organic piston systems do, of which I am a fan.

Its the adjustability factor that allows one to tune the weapon for optimal performance with all ammo and a suppressor that separates Ruger from the more 'stylish' offerings from Lucky Star 7 AR manufacturing, automotive repair and stomach pump room, 218, Maple ST (garage is in the back), stop by anytime.

On paper, gonna make the call out on this limb and say this is a winner and in fact a contender to the top dog circle.
10 years 5 months ago #31352

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic Ruger SR 762

I got to put my hands on one of these at the Tanner Gun Show yesterday. It looks like it's really well made. I only have ONE comment on it:

"Man this thing's front heavy!"

I'm not talking like a pound heavy on the front end.

I'm not talking about "this is well balanced for off-hand."

I'm saying if you put your hand on the front of the mag well to support it while you hold it, it may feel as if the center of gravity is forward of the receiver. Just be aware of that so you don't drop it. Most dealers get unhappy about that.

There was an Isreali pattern heavy barrel carbine at the show, and it was slight better balanced than the Ruger 7.62.

To be fair, it's mostly because the barrel on the Ruger is really really heavy under the handgaurd. It *is* fluted. It's still heavy. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to disassemble it and look at the inner workings. I'm sure it exhibits the same fit and finish as the outside of the rifle.
10 years 5 months ago #32175

LeZard, my guess is there is a lot of weight in the piston assembly which is forward. I like their piston system (on paper, but have not handled it yet), hence the reason for the fluted bbl to lose some weight.

What is interesting is that were this platform made to the same stds of yesterday it would be all steel and wood stocks, can you imagine what it would weigh then...
10 years 5 months ago #32186

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Ruger SR 762

I watched the disassembly video. As long as that is not needed very often I might think about it, but if you need to clean that front end more than every 500 rounds it would be a deal breaker for me. To complicated for the field IMO.
10 years 5 months ago #32187

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by MsgtBill on topic Ruger SR 762

Afternoon. Just purchased a Sr-762 with a Nikon m-308 scope and mount. Haven't had a chance to fire it yet, am having problems bore sighting the scope. Had to max out the left windage in order to bring the bring the reticle on to the laser dot at about 100 feet. Am looking for an answer before I return the scope to Cabela's. May have to add a shim on the scope mount. So far it seems to be a sweet rifle, though according to the Ruger forum several people have had feed problems with new weapons. Time will tell, will update when I have a chance to fire the about 10 lb beast (including full mag, scope, and bipod)..... ;)
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by MsgtBill.
10 years 1 month ago #35762

MSGT, LOOKING forward to your interaction with this weapon. I like it, like Ruger and hope it works out.

If you are twisting the windage that far then I would look hard at your mount and try swapping out a mount and see if that changes things...let know and show with some pics...
10 years 1 month ago #35763

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Ruger SR 762

:welcome: Msgt Bill :usa: looking forward to hearing more about that Ruger!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 1 month ago #35781

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!