Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Tikka T3 Tactical??

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by NAMVET1970 on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

LB, I have a Zel Custom upper in 338L, it's made to sit in an M-15 lower with most of the internals removed. It's a single shot. They now make one for an AR10 lower, or LAR-308 lower, with 2 choice of barrels. Available in .50 BMG, .416 Barrett and .338 Lapua. and in your choice of Ultralite (Mossberg, Made in Mexico) or Duty (Criterion, Made in Wisconsin) barrels. The criterion barrels are made right next to the Krieger barrels in Germantown, WI 53022,

Near Cabelas at the 41/45 split.

They start at $1898 it's called the spartan S3, mine cost more as it fits an M-15. and my barrel was made by Baughton with 5C rifling. Here's the link

<www.tactilite.com/Spartan-S3-Upper-Recei...-and-LR-308-p/s3.htm>

Bill
P.S. I am from Racine, WI, and hunt in Waushara county.

I did a spec out using 29" barrel & LAR-308 lower, with duty barrel and this was the price. $400.00 more for the criterion barrel.

Spartan S3 - 338 Lapua - Duty - 29" - Standard Brake - LR-308 Style Lower (Available Separately) $2,298.00

remove
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Siscowet, Libertarian623
9 years 6 months ago #42569

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Nice looking system Nam Vet! Question, do you have many good distance shooting ranges down in that area? Up here in Northern Wisconsin, we have plenty of ranges, but no public ones over 300 yards. We end up setting up temporary ones out in logged over National Forest areas. Find a hill for a backstop, use the laser rangefinder to find distance, and set up a portable shooting rest. When we get done we pack it up and pull off the deer ticks.
9 years 6 months ago #42577

SOC, I usually do my shooting in Waushara County, they have a nice free range that was rebuilt 2 years ago, it has high berms between each of the yardage benches(50; 100; 200 yards). It's located on hwy C just out of Wautoma, they even put in a pistol range this year.
You want long range they have the 7 mile range in Racine, but membership is expensive, plus 300 hours service time each year(the Gov't owns it, but let the civilians run it) They just had the Vintage Sniper shoot this weekend(1903, and 1903 A3), I heard about it from some guys on the CMP forum(<forums.thecmp.org/>), they shoot 300 & 600 yards.
I was down there once when I had to qualify for the Navy reserve with the old M-16A2.
If I need to shoot longer than 200yds, I do what you do on my 72 acres in western Waushara County(near Hancock), I have a 400 yd fire lane, but can only do 300yds unless I do some tree trimming. My west property line is next to hwy 51, just north of the scale outside of Coloma. I try to limit my shooting there as there is usually a state trooper in the turn around near my SW corner, the 338L can be a bit noisy, but with all that weight and the barrel it kicks less than a 308 on prone.
Right now I have been busy playing with a couple Springfield 1903's Mark 1's, trying to bring them up to what they should be minus the Pedersen device(good luck getting one of those 0nly 30 or 40 around and that's counting gun museum's.
I was up there this last weekend helping my grandson with the youth hunt, you won't believe what he missed. Check it out.

Bill

9 years 6 months ago #42581

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

I appreciate the recommendation. I have a pretty good eye for quality equipment, but it's not always 100% accurate, so it's good to have the opinion reinforced by real world experience.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
9 years 6 months ago #42614

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Namvet-Those, must be a single shot affair, I don't see the point. At that price you could get a used bolt gun. How has the accuracy been for you?
9 years 6 months ago #42617

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

I may be biased, but I vote .300wm as well. I was in the same situation as you. I'm really glad I went with the .300wm. If you are interested in a good tactical setup, a company I have had great experience with (MDT) makes a chassis system for the Tikka T3

This is the MDT LSS chassis. Allows you to use AR parts. In my opinion they offer the best chassis systems as far as ergonomics goes. The LSS is pretty cheap as well. My next build will be a Savage 10 with that chassis. Good luck on your build and keep us posted.
9 years 6 months ago #42618

Libertarian623: I have not broke in the barrel yet, the manufacture gave a 100 round break-in, and the first 40 are one shot and clean. So far I have 20 rds down range and can hold less than 1.5" at 200 yds.( I was told it will get better as you near the 100rd count) After I bought this they modified the upper to add a mag on the left side. Now they make they so you can use an AR-10 or LAR-308 lower. With this M-15 lower you need to remove the bolt handle to remove the bolt if you want to use a cleaning rod, otherwise I have to use the Otis pull thru system.
Should have waited, but would have cost me a lot more if I did, so may not have bought it. The trg were way too much for me. The manufacture of the Boughton 5C Barrel, won a 1000 shoot in 2006 with his barrels, don't know what type of stock/frame he put his barrel on. He makes them up by Lomira WI. so I figured if there are problems, I can stop in and talk. If you are shooting that long what do you need a mag for anyway.
That_Guy, I hear you on the 300wm, I heard someone has made an AR style in that caliber.

Bill
9 years 6 months ago #42619

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Nemo Arms makes the Omen, which is .300wm. I lust for that rifle... I love my TAC 21 though and have gotten 1/2-1/4 MOA with the factory 1:12 barrel using Remington premire acu tips. I still need to build an AR-10 .

Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by That_Guy.
9 years 6 months ago #42620

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

I wondered if I was just going OCD on the .338L, so I googled it and found this comparison with the .300 Win Mag.

www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/338-lapua-vs-300-win-mag/

There's some good points in the article. In particular it points out that .338L shines beyond 900 meters. A shot I will probably never make! But it would be great to have that capability!
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Charlie.
9 years 6 months ago #42622

oooooooh!, I like that video of the Omen, what's the price tag on that thing???? :twothumbs:
9 years 6 months ago #42624

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!