Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Tikka T3 Tactical??

• Thank you received: 10

Tikka T3 Tactical?? was created by LongBranchMk12

Hello everyone. I'm back from about a 1year hiatus from this forum. Too much work and had a new baby so really no time for shooting or really anything else.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on Tikka T3 Rifle's? Specifically the T3 Tactical... I have heard really good things about their guns from people I talk to and read on the net.

I'm looking at getting one and I'm currently saving up (budget of about $2000 total, scope (Millet Trs-1 because of cost will upgrade at a later date or if anyone has any other options around the same price point I would consider that as well). I plan on starting to learn long distance shooting and want something I can shoot relatively cheap so it will be a .308. So the Tikka T3 Tac seems to be the perfect gun for what I want. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts / experience / stories / advise on this gun...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
9 years 6 months ago #42517

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Welcome back Long Branch. If I remember you are from Wisconsin.
Or at least that looks like a Musky you are holding. One thought on the caliber: It may cost more to shoot, but if you are serious about distance shooting, I would go for the 300 Winchester magnum. As good as the 308 is, you get past 6-700 yards, and the 300 WM has a huge advantage in trajectory and retained velocity. And that should show up as better, smaller groups. As far as scopes, check out Nikon. They aren't that much more than Millet, and they make excellent optics. Again, welcome back and congrats on the new family member.
9 years 6 months ago #42518

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by LongBranchMk12 on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Thanks for the reply Siscowet. Yep I'm from WI. That's a 45" pike. I'll add some pic's of the 52" pike my father in law caught this year 35 lb monster....

I've been really going back and forth on the caliber between 308 and 300... I came to the determination that I need some more trigger time to start pushing out past 500 yards. So I was thinking 308 I could shoot more and work my way out to the edge of that range to get some consistency. Then upgrade to a 300 beyond that... That would also give me time to expand my shooting range...

What do you have for bolt guns?
9 years 6 months ago #42529

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

Long branch good to see you back. I think the 308 is going to hold you for a while and you will have to sharpen your skills to get the performance you want. The 308 is good to a 1000 when you don't have to deal with the wind, but it doesn't buck the wind well. the 300WM will take you to 1500 and beyond and its BC are way better.
9 years 6 months ago #42531

BTW I am saving for a Sako TRG in 338L.
9 years 6 months ago #42532

I am in the dark ages with bolt guns. I have a Savage weather warrior stainless steel in 30-06. I have been saving for a Savage heavy barrel in 300 WM, but may have to look at that Tikka T3 after seeing their prices. Are you going to reload or shoot factory ammo mostly LB? I have gotten into a situation where I have a bunch of factory 308 ammo gathering dust because my preference now is for my custom reloads. I go out and shoot the factory stuff just to get the brass for my reloads. Whatever caliber you pick, you cam really improve your accuracy by fine tuning your handloads to the distance you want to shoot in an individual rifle. Just a thought.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Siscowet.
9 years 6 months ago #42535

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

About a year ago my son and I decided to add a bolt rifle to the stable. It was to be super accurate, and have such things as swappable magazines, bipod, stable scope mounts: All the bells and whistles. We looked at the Remington SPX/XCR and Tikka T3, and drooled over the USMC M40AX series, but we were already getting 0.5 to 0.75 MOA out of our 10A4 BNMF, and so mission creep set in.

We decided on a long range round with super good ballistics, and considered the .300 Win Mag, but decided that it was insufficiently different from the .308 to justify the trouble and expense. Then Tracking Point came out with their "Extreme Distance Hunting" video, and we were sold on the .338 L.

There are only a handfull of rifles chambered in .338 L that meet our specifications. Of that lot we decided on the Seiko TRG-42 at $3878.00. Accessories for the TRG-42 do not come cheap either: Scope mount $450.00, Bipod (proprietary mount!) $548.00, Muzzle brake $199.00, Spare mags $250.00 each. And if you want the folding stock you can have one for only $2750.00! And so the project foundered on that rock.

I'd still like to do the project, but there's not a rich uncle anywhere in sight!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
9 years 6 months ago #42555

They are out of them now, but CDNN had Armalite AR30M's in both 338 Lapua and 300 WM. For $ 2299 then reduced to $1999 a while back. A heck of a deal for a clip fed bolt action.
9 years 6 months ago #42556

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Tikka T3 Tactical??

The AR30-A1 in .338 L is out there now for $2950.00. I confess that I have never seen an AR30, but we did get to fondle a TRG-42 at a local gun show and it was a thing of beauty!

Part of the problem is that at these prices we're getting into .50 BMG territory, and that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Charlie.
9 years 6 months ago #42557

LB that AR30 is strickly a bench gun,to heavy for anything else. But a close second for me was the Savage 338. I settled on the TRG because there is no comprise aND the difference in price is negligible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie
9 years 6 months ago #42558

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!