Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ruining brass

• Thank you received: 67

ruining brass was created by foxhunter

I have a progressive RCBS reloader that I recently bought. I have to manually position the brass as I bring it up to the powder dispenser. If it is not well centered by hand, the lip of the brass catches, crushing it and spilling powder everywhere. Anyone else have this problem and a fix for it?
14 years 11 months ago #1560

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ruining brass

What model RCBS is this?

I don't have an RCBS, but I do have a Dillon, so I may be able to help a little.

Do you have to manually index the shells around or is it automatic? If you have to manually align the shell as it goes into the die, then it almost sounds like you don't have things lined up correctly.

Is the mouth of the powder die radiused or straight walled?

Where exactly is the shell getting caught, where it buggers up the lips? Is it on the die lip or up inside the die?

Lots of things it could be and hard to diagnose without actually seeing it.
14 years 11 months ago #1562

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by taticalrifle on topic Re:ruining brass

I have a dillon and they are great. I have had bad luck with the RCBS dies. You my want to try the dillon dies. They are designed for the progressive press. They are a little higher in price but worth it. Dillon does stand behind there no bs warranty.
14 years 11 months ago #1565

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:ruining brass

well, in order to better answer the excellent questions that edge raised, I took the powder measure apart. And guess what? I had the powder bushing in upside down!! It's a wonder I didn't ruin a lot more brass. Works like a champ now.
14 years 11 months ago #1570

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ruining brass

Well, that could definately cause a problem! :-)

Glad that you figured it out!!!
14 years 11 months ago #1571

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!