Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Reloading Dies for AR-10

• Thank you received: 1

Reloading Dies for AR-10 was created by RandR

On to my next endeavor: Question for MSH, Since you chambered my barrel for me what reloading dies do you recommend? Are small base dies appropriate? I think you said in another post that you don't care for bullet crimp? ( Bullet crimp is to stop bullet migration caused by recoil? ) Is there a COL that you can recommend? Any other specifics you can impart would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Bob.
14 years 4 months ago #2557

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by arkypete on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

What I've found is Redding dies don't require small base dies. The Redding dies work well for 308/7.62 and 30-06.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: maw
14 years 4 months ago #2558

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

Bob you can use std RCBS or Reding dies. Your chamber is an Obermyre #3 which aint but .001 off the pama barrels that Norm and Kent are using. I like it better than what the pama team gave me to use on their stuff. The throat lead is a little better. Been using that one on my stuff for years.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2560

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by DMCI* on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

"In my experience", the only rifle that I ever owned that required small base dies was the Springfield M1A National Match, which I no longer own. The M1 Garand and AR-10T(C) don't appear to require them.

It seemed at the time that the chamber on the M1A was tight and that without those dies, you couldn't be assured of reliable ejection.

The small base dies seemed to take care of the problem.
14 years 4 months ago #2565

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by crawldady on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

Ive been using the lee dies for the 7.62/308 and never had a problem on my 10(T) with Kreiger match barrel. The only problem i ever had on it is some cheap russian ammo, they kept missfeeding. just a good example of getting what ya pay for LOL
I just got a set of RCBS dies for the 338 federal and they appear to be better quality. I think I will switch to them for my 308 as well.
What is the best dies for the 308. after using the RCBS Im wondering if the Lee dies might be the cause of my accuraccy issues. Im getting into competition shooting now and need the best accuracy I can get.
MSH would you mind giving your thoughts on this. Ive been having trouble getting the groups to 1MOA. they are about 1 1/8 to 1 1/4?
The barrel is 26" krieger, match.
14 years 4 months ago #2566

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by DMCI* on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

www.ar10t.com/components/com_joomgallery...roups_2_20091213_154 crawldady wrote:
If you really mean that, then better accuracy is possible. What you need to do is optimize your ammo manufacturing process in an attempt to manufacture what is essentially match grade ammunition. I don't know about your personal abilities, your reloading system, or anything. But let's assume you are a decent shot and have a basic knowledge of reloading. (When shooting by the way, do everything exactly the same, like cheek weld, sling pressure if any, trigger squeeze, etc. Consistency is key.)

First I would see what your rifle will do.

1. Purchase a box of .308FEDERAL MATCH GRADE AMMUNITION, probably 175 grain match. Take it to the range and after cleaning shoot a series of five shot groups. Shoot on a day where there is little wind or mirage.

This stuff is fairly consistent and accurate. Then, if you get under 1" at 100 yards then go to step 2.

If not, TRIGGER JOB, BARREL ALIGNMENT CHECK, etc. or different rifle.

2. Ok, so you have proven that it's not the shooter or the rifle. The next step is to try to manufacture match grade ammunition.

Purchase the following:

1. Sierra 175 Grain Boat Tail Hollow Point Match (HPBT) I usually buy 1000 of same lot number, but I would suggest at minimum 200. Remember consistency is the key.

2. Federal(!) Large Rifle Match Primers (Buy minimum 1000)

Specification: Fed GM210M Large Rifle primers

3. 100 Quality Cartridge Cases. I like Lapua, but if you can get Federal or similar, OK. Do not under any circumstances use MIL SURPLUS (Like LC or LC Match). 200 or more is even better if they are sold in bulk.

4. 100 Round cartridge boxes. Process ammo in 100 round lots, and keep them together. Protects cases from damage and is a convienient quantity for processing.

5. RCBS Primer Uniforming tool and Inside/Outside neck deburing tool. Cases are stamped and often have burr in primer hole which can play havoc with ignition consistency(that word again.)

6. .308 Match Dies.

7. If Funds permit, RCBS or similar case trimmer with pilot.

8. Similarly vibratory case cleaner with corncob media. I like the one from Dillon and their rotary media separator.

Loading:

Many loads are possible. Always verify anonymous recommendations like this one with reloading manuals for saftey. Use standard load work up proceedures per reloading manual. I generally load 5 shot groups of a variety of loads, as every rifle is different and groups will change as a function of small changes in load weight.

42.5 gr IMR 4064 2,680 fps Case overall Length: 2.800" Federal GM210M

The above is the exact replication of the Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr Load minus the gold primer they use which is not available to reloaders. Use the Fed GM210M Large Rifle primers instead. Trim case to 2.007. Fed cases use 42.5gr of IMR 4064. If you use brass with thicker case walls than Fed (ie, Win, Lapua, LC, and just about anything else) drop charge to 42.2gr.

Another very popular load is:

44.7 or so gr Varget 2,680 fps Cartridge overall Length: 2.875" Federal GM210M

Remember, this is match grade ammo, so I weigh every single charge on scale. The 168 BTHP Match is also an excellent bullet, but I would recommend it for use range not to exceed 600 yards. The Sierra 175 BTHP recommended here is the standard Long Range bullet in .308 and has a fairly decent B/C.

More on this and other subjects:

home.comcast.net/~jesse99/caseprep.html

Note on supplies: You will not find some of this stuff at K-Mart, so you need a really decent dedicated FFL (Gun Store)

Here is a 100 yard load development target from my 7WSM M70.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

You will see us in the following picture wherein we were attempting to shoot the ubiqitous PD at over 700 yards. This is where 1/2 moa ammo really comes into its own. Note the previously discussed 100 round ammo box and long range target varmint scope here with custom M70 target rifle.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 14 years 4 months ago by DMCI*.
14 years 4 months ago #2570

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

Give me a break down on your load, is your barrel on tight. Had one like that last week. It shot good after I tighen the barrel up. Is the carrier key tight.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2571

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

I use the Lee dies and am happy with the way they turn out shells, but hey, I am a nooby to reloading so for what it's worth...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2636

Replied by RandR on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

I am seriously looking at the RCBS x-die, I like the idea of not having to case trim any more than necessary. Sill undecided though. RandR
14 years 4 months ago #2642

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by crawldady on topic Re:Reloading Dies for AR-10

OK sorry it took so long to get back to ya, its been hecktic.
My reloading procedure is pretty much the same for everything I reload.
I use the lee perfect powder measure to drop my charges. with the Hodgon BLC(2) it gives reliable repeatability of the weight. for example I was working up my first batch of 338 federal loads and using a 200gr hornady interbond SST bullets and 47gr of powder,
I calibrated the powder measure and weighed 5 charges to start with weights were 47.05, 47.05, 46.9, 47, 47.07. This degree of accuracy has worked great in my bolt guns.
Up untill recently I have been loading to the recomended COL in my loading manual,(and again been working pretty good) I now have an OAL guage, headspace guage, and comparators for my rifles. I have been trying to set the bullet approxamitley 2thousands off of the lands. this hasn't been working to well due to mag size, the only bullet I can get close to this is the 180 nosler in the 338 federal. I been using 200gr hornady amax bullets for the 308. I have used amax in the past in other calibers and gotten good accuracy, however they are extremly long and have to be seated Deep in the case.
I size and trim all the cases to the same length using the Lee case trimmers which are caliber specific. once I charge and seat the bullet I put a light crimp on them using a crimping die.

I know this isn't a specific recipe because of what I am about to say.
I took DCMI's advise and ordered a box of federal match grade ammo for the 308. I took it and and 338 federal out to the range as I wanted to test my new reloads for the 338 I made some out of the 180gr nosler's and the 200 Hornady's.
I set up two targets(one for each caliber) and then got my sand bags out and began shooting the 338 first cause I just had to get some firing time in on and couldn't wait any longer LOL once I got it zeroed in I then got some speed data from the chrony and when to see how they grouped. I immediately got and better than an inch groups with my first set of reloads on this new caliber(I was surprised) I think I can get some really good accuracy out of the 338federal upper.
So Back to the 308. I loaded up the federal match ammo and whent to firing, it actually grouped as bad or a bit worse than my handloads for it. (needless to say I was pissed)
Im pretty sure its not the trigger because I use the same lower for the 338. the trigger is a Gisielle two stage match the breaks very cleanly(its the best trigger I have used so far in my limited experience)
I immediately took the 308 upper to my ffl guy in Greer who does all the work on my ar 15 and said he has worked on the ar-10's as well. He can't find anything wrong with it and thinks its the barrel. which really irritates me as I paid Kreiger a good chunk of chage for that barrel and extra for them to 'supposedly' chamber it for my bolt. I had to send them the entire upper with BCG. After I bought it I have seen on some other forums where other people have had problems with kreiger match barrels.
I admitt I am new and should have done more research on a custom barrell manufacturer.

I am now so fed up with this thing I think I might just sell the barrell and start over. (and cry LOL)

So thats where I am at, I have ruled out shooter and trigger. and since I am getting good accuracy out of the 338 my loading procedure may not be perfect and could definately use some improving but I beleive it is fairly effective in producing good ammo.
One other thing I have noticed is that it takes quite a bit more force to full length resize the 308 shells than it does the 338federal shells after they have been through their repective rifles.
14 years 4 months ago #2717

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!