Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New Category?

• Thank you received: 132

New Category? was created by mlotziii

Should we add a new category titled, "Hard Core Ballistics Experiments" for expert level information sharing on loads, projectiles, and expert techniques?
14 years 4 months ago #2757

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Category?

Personally I think that would be a great and prudent idea.
Given that we do have some professional level reloaders here. They would have a place to discuss and debate the different "high level" techniques that are out of reach for us noobies and beginners and the average reloaders. Yet we could learn from them as long as we all remember that these are people that are on the "Professional" level of reloading....and have decades of experience and most are instructors and teachers and such....and our input (beginers ect.) should be limited to questions on their discussions
Although if I may make a suggestion on the title....I think maybe "Reloading for the Professionals" or "On the Professional Level" might be more suited, but that is just my two pennies.....hey I am a nooby and a beginner so what do I know.....LOL

BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2758

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:New Category?

I have mixed feelings on that one. On another, much larger gun web site, the administrators have had to remove several posts that contained completely irresponsible load recommendations. Thankfully the administrators of that site are watching the postings. Right now the biggest problem with the internet and guns is the amount of BS that gets posted. Every time I post an opinion, I try to make sure I can back it up not only with experience, but also reliable references from my extensive library of handloading and shooting books. If "advanced techniques" are thoroughly vetted, pressure tested and ballistically sound, that's great. If they're based on "I tried it and it seems to work", then that's iffy. I used to think Elmer Keith was the last word in handgun load development, but I also remember that he blew up a bunch of guns (his own admission). And this sight is devoted to the AR10, which is a more difficult gun to load for than a plain vanilla bolt gun.
14 years 4 months ago #2764

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:New Category?

Good point I guess the best thing is just to be sure that the topic closely relates to the discussion at hand and that everyone realizes their experience level and skill.
14 years 4 months ago #2769

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:New Category?

After thinking on this, Hank has made a valid point...not sure but on alot of the "load data" sites, they have a note somewhere as a disclaimer as to "use at own risk". That being said, maybe on the category Title or when you log on to it, it would have something in the same manner....

Categories....AMMO
Factory Ammo,
Reloading,
On The Professional Level...Not for Beginners,
(for discussion only, use data at own risk)
Alternate Calibers,

Or something like that... :unsure:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 4 months ago #2776

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:New Category?

I'd like to see a category more inclusive of the various muzzle accessories. I see we have one for suppressors and that's good, but what about "Muzzle Devices" or attachments or some such. Was looking for a good spot to start a thread about compensators but didn't spot a good topic besides barrels.
14 years 3 months ago #2826

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by DMCI* on topic Re:New Category?

Well, I am so brilliant I broke my Dillon 650. I left primers in the primer feed and they corroded and caused the press to sieze up and this resulted in the cam breaking and loss on dissassembly of the paul and paul spring.

With over 30 years of experience in reloading, I consider myself anything but a professional although while I haven't made any money with my hobby, I probably have shot more by 10 times than I would have otherwise and saved myself thousands of dollars over the retail price of ammo.

The main thing for you so called "NEWBIES" is developing the will and a little cash and physically going down to the local sporting goods guy and buying a RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit. Then setting up a reloading bench with book shelves in the back of it for components and other stuff and cracking the reloading manual. Instructions are laid out in great detail with step by step proceedures in detail.

My feeling what is needed here is not a "professional level" area, but a "There are no dumb questions!" category where the newbies can ask questions about reloading. I sometimes think that shooting is just a way of unloading cases so you can reload them again.

Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by DMCI*.
14 years 3 months ago #2833

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:New Category?

Thats called a cluttered mind, you get doing something with the intent of going back and storing everything and you forget to or put it off. My favorite thing is not keeping an eye on the primers in the tray and loading a few without them and get a powder dump after I pull the case out of the shell holder in the empty slot. Then its get the air hose blow it out and start at step one. These auto presses are great as long as we follow suit and don't override the mechanical dummy. The dumbest one that I ever seen was a guy loaded a muzzle smoker with H380 and was snapping caps on it. It didn't fire and he was lucky. MSH
14 years 3 months ago #2834

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:New Category?

More of a general thought on categories. This site is still fairly small and thus has a limited amount of traffic when compared to a lot of other sites I visit. This is OK as this site is fairly specific in focus - basically 308 caliber AR platform rifles. So in general, the smaller the site, the fewer categories seems like a good policy. Otherwise, not enough traffic on any one section/category.
Last edit: 14 years 3 months ago by silver78.
14 years 3 months ago #2835

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!