Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Question for MSH and others.

• Thank you received: 1

Question for MSH and others. was created by donkey1984

I know that this is kinda off the site topic but here goes. I am considering getting a Browning BAR in .270 with the mossy oak camo pattern and with OUT the boss system. My question is simply what kind of accuracy should i expect with one of these. I have heard very mixed reviews and i dont want to buy something and be disapointed. Does anyone have any direct experience with this platform. Thanks in advance for any info.
14 years 4 months ago #2780

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rnb873091 on topic Re:Question for MSH and others.

I have and original from the early 70's the gun in 30-06 has always shot into about 1.5 inch with almost every load with factory ammo, the only early problem I had was RCBS dies wouldn't re-size the case far enough so at time they would not feed but they came out with small base dies and I have never had any more problems in the last 30 plus years It has been used by everyone I know to fill deer tags as a loaner gun for kids and friends. I went to double rifle in 78 in 30-06 and that is the only thing I hunt with. Hope this helps B)
14 years 4 months ago #2781

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Question for MSH and others.

Your going to fight with the trigger but any where from an inch to 3 inches seem to be the norm. We had around 50 built with heavy barrels when we were changing the M24s over to 300 win mag 20 years ago. I don't know where those rifles got to but a friend of ours in SF who was working the project had Browning to make him one. He shot it in F class at 600yd and it did OK. I did notice that when it got hot the accuracy or lets say there was impact shift of close to a foot. But thats nothing new because I have some time on the old BAR that we have from the WW2 era and thats a little different design and it does the same thing. All the Brownings have tight chambers and I usually have to shave .015 off the sizing die to bump the shoulder when loading for these. These rifles are fine for hunting but the triggers are of OSHA design and are very difficult to work with. We never fielded any in the sandbox and they didn't pan out as anything close to a DM rifle. Its not a rifle to sit down at the bench and shoot groups with its a running deer gun. There aint any great auto loaders to choose from on the sporting side. The Winchester 100 is the sportized M14 want to be and is a good system so you might try to find one of those.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2782

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Question for MSH and others.

Well thank you for the info very much. What calibers does the Winchester 100 come in?
14 years 4 months ago #2788

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The 100 win was chambered in 06,284,270,308,243 and I'm leaving something out but if you find one in good shape they seemed to be the best of that type. The barrels on the Rem 742s were attached with a nut to the receiver via a silvered soldered piece of angle iron. You don't want one of those.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2789

With that being said i am thinking about getting a dpms in .243. I no it only has a barrel life of abot 2000 rounds but i dont plan on shooting that much, it will be just for hunting and just get a little range time here and there. I need something light and accurate and semi auto for some coyote hunting. Thanks again for all the info.
14 years 4 months ago #2790

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I been using the 243 across the course and some 1000yd work. It likes ww760 powder for this type of gas system. you wont need small base dies. Think of it as a gas assisted bolt rifle. Get an adjustable gas manifold on it and set the timming.MSH
14 years 4 months ago #2794

I have no clue how to do that. I took about 5years in tool and die classes in high school/vocational school/college. but i have never done any type of major gun work.
14 years 4 months ago #2795

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!