Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Heavyweights in the AR-10?

• Thank you received: 2

Heavyweights in the AR-10? was created by weshowe

Gents,

My first post on the site. I have a G.A. Precision custom AR-10...incredible rifle. My question is O.K. to shoot 190 gr. Sierra Match Kings in the AR-10?
M1's, M1A's and M-14's generally recommended not shooting the heavyweights due to possible operation rod damage. Since the AR-10 has no op rod to damage is it still OK to shoot 190's?
Generally, I stick to 175 gr SMK's, but want to be able to go heavier if need be...

Thanks,

Wes
15 years 6 months ago #396

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Heavyweights in the AR-10?

I am by no means an expert but when i sent my ar to armalite for them to redrill my gas port(by the way if your rifle ejects, but doesn't feed call them they said it was a common problem for the newer rifles because the gas port is .005 to small) anyway they said anywhere from 150 grain to 200 grain is ideal. like i said I AM NO EXPERT but that is what they told me.
15 years 6 months ago #400

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Heavyweights in the AR-10?

donkey1984,

Thanks for the info. I suspected the heavyweights would be OK.
The rifle has worked 100%, but it's not really an stock AR. George Gadner @ G.A. Precision built it so I would expect stellar performance. I'm running a 1:12" twist 20" Schneider barrel. Accuracy is as good as most bolt guns (and I'm a bolt gun guy).

Wes
15 years 6 months ago #402

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Heavyweights in the AR-10?

I'd be surprised if a GAP rifle couldn't handle the 190s but to be safe, I would send them a note and ask their opinion.
15 years 6 months ago #419

Replied by weshowe on topic Re:Heavyweights in the AR-10?

Gents,

Got to the range today, but didn't get to chrono or shoot the 190 gr SMK's...that will have to wait until next weekend.
I WAS able to test several handloads and LC M118 across the chrono.
Will open a separate thread about that in order to keep this a "heavyweights" only thread.

Wes
15 years 6 months ago #428

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!