Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 Ammo Tests

• Thank you received: 2

AR-10 Ammo Tests was created by weshowe

Gents,

I had the opportunity to shoot and chronograph several loads today. One was LC M118 Special Ball and the other a handload using N140 and 190 gr. SMK's. Here's the results:

Rifle: GA Precision Custom AR-10/Schneider 10" barrel.

Special Ball M118
Lot: LC-93A197-002
Bullet used is 173 Gr. BTFMJ.
5 Round Strings were used.

1. 2,671 FPS
2. 2,615 FPS
3. 2,622 FPS
4. 2,609 FPS
5. 2,604 FPS
Extreme Spread: 67 FPS
Average Vel: 2,624 FPS
Note: only the first round(cold bore) was higher in velocity. The other 4 rounds fell into a 18 FPS spread.
The load was used for sniping, but clearly shows there are better choices. Accuracy was about 1 MOA

Handload: .308 Winchester
Brass: Winchester (once fired)
Primer: Federal 210 Match
Powder: Vihtavouri Oy N140/42.9 gr.
Bullet: 190 Gr. JLK VLD
OAL: 2.800"

1. 2,486 FPS
2. 2,490 FPS
3. 2,488 FPS
4. 2,494 FPS
5. 2,482 FPS
Extreme Spread: 12 FPS
Average Vel.: 2,488 FPS
Notes: EXTREMELY uniform load. Not a max effort, but close. Accuracy was very good in the limited testing, as well. Will increase the charge and test the results. The load is extremely promising, but I was a little disappointed in the low velocity. The same load was about 50 FPS faster in my M40A1. Accuracy was very good. More testing is needed.

Hope some of you find the data useful.

Wes
P.S. Guess who forgot his AR-10 mags? Had a custom tuned single shot! Usually, the magazine is left in the rifle, but had been showing it to a shooting companion and forgot to put the darn thing back in the mag well...sheesh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
15 years 6 months ago #429

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:AR-10 Ammo Tests

I saw the line about forgetting to take mags to the range. I did that once, too. (Well, OK, maybe more than once!?) After that, I put one mag for each and every semi-auto I own in my two range bags; the bags go with me every time I go shooting. That way, if I do forget, at least I have one mag available. I also mark each "range bag" mag with a piece of red tape on the bottom, so I know it's a permanent range mag. That means I don't fret over cleaning it too much, and don't mind using it for a "drop" mag if I'm practicing combat reloads. For my AR10 and for the M1A, the "range bag" mag is a 10 rounder; works great off the bench.
15 years 5 months ago #739

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!