Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

dies for reloading for ar10t

• Thank you received: 67

dies for reloading for ar10t was created by foxhunter

I used to reload .243 and .300 WM for my bolt actions, and since I've had so much trouble finding the ammo I want (and the price) I am going to try reloading the .308 for my ar10t. I just ordered the small- size dies that rcbs says is necessary for semiautomatic weapons . they also have neck resizing dies. Can anyone tell me if I should get this die and resize the neck as well? Will the small-size rcbs dies not also do this? I never did this with my other calibers for the bolt actions.
I also have alot of IMR4895 powder left around from when I loaded about 10 yr ago. Any reason to go with a diffent powder?
15 years 5 months ago #699

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:dies for reloading for ar10t

I have an Armalite AR10B. I've found it advisable to use "small base" dies, and have both RCBS and Redding. There is no need for you to buy the "neck size" die, because the small base die will size both the neck and the body; "small base" simply means that it will size the case to near minimum SAAMI specifications. Actually, the neck size die is usually only recommended for bolt actions, and usually won't work with autoloaders, levers, etc., as it doesn't resize the body at all. If you plan on crimping bullets (which I recommend in the AR10), then try a Lee Factory Crimp Die. As an alternative, you could taper crimp cases, but be careful not to overdo it. Too much taper crimp can result in a bulge of the case neck or shoulder, and make chambering difficult. That's why I recommend the Lee die. IMR4895 is an excellent powder for 7.62/.308. 10 years old shouldn't be a problem if it was stored properly. If you open a can and it smells bad, discard it. It's hard to describe a smell, so compare to another powder if possible. Also, if the powder shows a strange residue (like red dust), then discard. Generally, though, properly stored powder lasts for many years. By the way, before you load a bunch of ammo, load up about 5 dummy rounds (without powder or primer) and make sure they feed and chamber well. Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
15 years 5 months ago #702

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:dies for reloading for ar10t

Hank,
Thanks for that very useful information.
15 years 5 months ago #704

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!