Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

primers and other components

• Thank you received: 4

primers and other components was created by Hank in Arkansas

Ever since the election, there's been a run on ARs and various reloading components. I've had a hard time finding any sort of primers locally, and about the same luck on the internet. However, yesterday I discovered that Natchez Shooters Supplies (www.natchezss.com) had lots of newly arrived primers for sale. In particular, they had a stock of CCI #34 Military Large Rifle primers. For safety reasons, I'm going to give them a try. If they work out OK that will become my "go to" primer for the AR10 and M1A. Be aware that in addition to the normal shipping charge, you'll have to pay a $20 HAZMAT fee. However, that fee covers one shipment of powder and primers (mixed) up to 50 pounds, so if you order a bunch (as I did), it's not a big deal. Natchez also had in stock all the other CCI primers, including the Military Small Rifle type. I'm sure many of you remember the big primer shortage of the early '90s.
15 years 5 months ago #721

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:primers and other components

Thanks for the post and source for primers. I checked two days ago with Midway and they were sold out on what I was looking for.
15 years 5 months ago #723

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by leoniru on topic Re:primers and other components

Featherblue ---
What primers are you looking for?
I finally found some Federal LR Match primers even though my local FFL holder/dealer (who normally can get pretty much anything) said he's been trying to get them for 14 months.
If that's what your huntin' PM me and I'll give you the source.

Like Hank said, His Highness Obama's upcoming coronation has created a panic-buying environment, but I've found that some places provide an email notification tool on their website for out-of-stock items. But ya gotta be quick to respond and purchase things as soon as your notified that they're in stock. I missed out on Winchester .308 brass because I waited a whole two hours after notification that they were back in stock.

leoniru
15 years 5 months ago #730

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by featherblue on topic Re:primers and other components

leoniru,

Thanks for the offer. I already bought a bunch from Natchez.
15 years 5 months ago #731

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:primers and other components

I've been using the CCI 34 "arsenal" primers for all my AR10B and M1A handloads ever since I got a bunch of them from Natchez. That covers 7.62mm loads; I've also got a bunch of CCI 41 arsenal primers for 5.56mm, but haven't tried them yet. As for CCI 34's in my 7.62mm loads, they've worked out great. I've done a bunch of testing and found that I won't have to change any of my favorite loads. Also, accuracy doesn't seem to have suffered in the least. Mind you, both of my .30 cal rifles are iron sighted, so I'm not shooting the tiny groups that some of you guys are, but still, I'm very satisfied with the CCI arsenal primers. I've never had a slamfire, but I've decided to err on the side of safety, and take advantage of CCI's product.

(I didn't have to change my loads, but if you're loads are "red line", then you might. The CCI arsenals are supposed to be the equivalent of CCI magnum primers, not their regular nor match primers. My loads just weren't that hot.)
14 years 5 months ago #2333

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:primers and other components

Thanks Hank, I am still waiting on some CCI 200s for my more precise loads, when I get to that point but I will probably pick some up to have them when needed. I came across some Remington LR primers at my local dealer's and stocked up on them since right now I am just learning....LOL
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 5 months ago #2334

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:primers and other components

Rumors abound that the primer manufacturers are about to catch up, but primers are still hard to get. Luckily, I've stocked up on all types, so I'm OK for awhile. If you're a serious reloader, don't pass up on any decent brand -- CCI, Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. I don't have any experience with the foreign primers, like Wolf, so I can't say anything good or bad about them.
14 years 5 months ago #2337

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:primers and other components

There is a lot of shooters using wolf primers on the palma try outs this time. Its a hot primer. Working good on 338 Lapua. MSH
14 years 5 months ago #2339

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re:primers and other components

www.powdervalleyinc.com

This is the best place to get the CCI large and small military primers that I've found. Go to their primer page and you'll see a statement that says something like this: "No backorders on primers NOT LISTED." In other words, if the primers you want ARE listed, then you CAN backorder them. I backordered a few thousand of both large and small military rifle primers. Didn't have to wait long-like 2-3 weeks-and I got notice in email that they were shipped. You just need to go ahead and order enough to make the hazmat charges ($22 I think?) worthwhile.

According to the CCI website, the military primers are not only harder/thicker. They are magnum primers also. Take this into consideration if you're running max/near max loads.

They also list lots of other kinds of primers like federal match primers etc. I just use CCI when I can get them. My shooting is not good enough for me to notice any difference the primers may make in performance. Hope this helps y'all find needed components.
14 years 5 months ago #2461

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by crawldady on topic Re:primers and other components

It's good to see that primers are finnaly becoming available again. I just went to the south carolina arms ascotiation gun show this weekend, and there were primers everywhere. I am now stocked back up. I was getting worried that I would run out, and have to go back to the factory ammo.
14 years 4 months ago #2541

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!